More Peppermint Shrimp babys

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by HappyGillmore, Dec 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well this is the 3rd time Ive found hundreds of baby shrimp floating around my system. A huge percentage of them get eaten by my fish, they seem to go nuts for em. But each time she gives birth, a good amount collect in a current-free corner of my refugium. I was wondering if I have any chance of raising these things. Perhaps Ill be ready for next time theres a litter, or whatever you call the birth of hundreds of Pep shrimp.

2. Click Here!

3. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

Sounds Awesome!!! I dont see why you couldnt raise them. Providing you supply them with food. Sounds like a great addition though, What your fish and corals dont eat shall survive.
    Congrats on you babies!

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Congrats, You will have to let us know, Im not sure if any have been bread in captivity or not!

5. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

I am fairly sure that peppermint shrimp sold to lfs's most of the time are captive bred. My lfs's usually will get a big batch in about once a month of very tiny peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp. Beside that they will get small batches of medium to large ones. So it would seem like they are breedable and raisable in captivity.

If I were you, I would buy a 3-10 gallon tank and scoop out the litter and put them in there. IMO it would be alot easier to raise them in a second tank.

6. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

8. Click Here!

9. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Ya I meant for saltwater. I'm not that sure if they have or havn't actually, was just a guess. But I skimmed through some of the threads on their and I did not see any that where successful.

10. HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Great link TY :) I think it comes down to nutrition as it usually does in cases of livestock longevity as well as fry rearing. But there have been some great advancements in foods as of late. Oyster Eggs, Live Phyto and Rotifers are awesome foods and I try to feed my tank that stuff as much as possible. Problem of course is they ar e high in PO4 and can foul a tank quickly. I have a very efficient and oversized refugium to handle it though so while the uncured ocean rock Ive added remains almost 100% viable because of the foods, my fuge produces over a gallon of cheato a week.

Of course this matters little when it comes to raising these baby shrimp cuz im gonna have to do it in a separate tank looks like. But im hoping very frequent water changes to a 20 gallon tank might sustain water quality while I add these foods. Im going to give it a go cuz beleive it or not, the female looks like she has eggs again! Wish me luck :)