moorish idol- week 10

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by chum, Sep 17, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

i ordered this fish on tuesday night and should be here soon. i have been keeping saltwater fish for 15 years but i am still nervous about this one. i never had one and i know the odds are against me but my kids had me convinced i could do it. i feed my tank lrs fish and herbivore frenzy, new life spectrum, and algae sheets. the tank is 125 gallon with a 5" tusk,5" marroon clown, a small blue damsel and a false lemon peel angel. if anyone has any input i would be thankful.

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I am worried the clown and damsel will pick at the long fins of the Moorish Idol. Maybe try to rearrange the rocks/reef in your tank before you put him in to make it "new" to all of the fish and break up territories.

4. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

the clown is 14 years old and pretty mellow at this stage and the damsel is so small it stays away from everyone. but adding a new fish always has its risk. thanks for the input.

Swisswiss likes this.
  5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I'd be more worried about the lemon peel above all, however all of your fish listed usually are aggressive once established.

I would look into the fish's feeding habits in the wild and try to replicate it as much as possible. Definitely try to include sponge and make the diet as varied as possible. Another good food would be nutramar ova. Feed multiple times a day.

Best of luck.

Vinnyboombatz and Swisswiss like this.
  6. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks va, still waiting for it to land.

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Did it arrive? I have no advice for you, but I would leave these guys in the ocean.

8. Click Here!

9. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

yes it showed up around 10:15. arrived alive a acclimated well. drove an hour to that fish place and got some new life spectrum pellets, purple and green sea veggies, and some frozen ocean nutrition angel formula. i also have lrs fish frenzy. none of the fish has bothered it at all and it is swimming around showing no stress. it ate some of the pellets but has not touched the purple sea veggies yet. here is a pic, my camera skills are not good.

Attached Files:

April Hope and Reefbuilder like this.
  10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

It is a beautiful fish!

chum likes this.
  11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, it really is beautiful! I know reefbruh has one that he's had a while I believe - I might drop him a message and ask for advice

12. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

awesome, thank you. its on day 2 and he has been eating the green sea veggies and fish frenzy so far today.

mdbostwick likes this.