Moon Rope lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Land_Fish, Dec 2, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Not really, many authors (and a researcher) have suggested to use 25w blue party bulbs for every 50g water. It's extremelly hard to get the 200 lumens that is appox. needed to simulate a full at 20ft below. The only mmonlights I give any merit to, are ones that are incorperating the 5w or 1w luxeon LED. The 5w version will put off 200 lumens prior to surface penetration.

I see no difference in using the party bulb or LEDs other then electricity, heat, length of bulb life and spectrum (LED's allow the precise spectrum, while party bulbs coating changes its spectrum quite rapidly with heat given off by the bulb).

2. Click Here!

3. Iceman30

Iceman30 Astrea Snail

i skipped both ideas and made mine from radio shack componets, using 2 blue hi intensity LED's with a 6 volt trans former and 1, 100 ohm resister before each bulb on the hot leg. I only have 2 now, 4 bucks a bulb but they are pretty intense, I have them at each end of the tank, top corners aimed at the opposite side, to open the area the light emits, strait down is like a spot light.

4. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

The rope light you use is incased inplastic right. I am worried the lights will get to hot for the plastic

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=JOER0178 link=board=lighting;num=1071686259;start=15#22 date=02/12/04 at 12:09:00]The rope light you use is incased inplastic right.  I am worried the lights will get to hot for the plastic[/quote]

They are very cool to the touch. They are not the bright which is a good thing. I have had mine up for over a year now. They are UL rated and indoor out door so you know they are sealed.