Moon Lights?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Hoverman, Jan 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

What are the time frames/lenths that the moon lights should be on?
    Are they for viewing pleasure or do they actually provide some sort of benefit?

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

They are just for your enjoyment! Mine are on for an hour before and after the main lights. I think it also helps the fish and coral that there isn't a sudden shock when the main lights get switched on and off.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Check this out...

Advertising hype? :-/ -- interesting product anyway...

Moon Controller System - For Moontube Aquarium Moonlights

[​IMG]

Product Features

Automatic moon cycle controller (simulates the 29.5 day lunar cycle).

Extreme 120° light spread ensures perfect coverage (compare with our competitors) for aquariums of all shapes.

Epoxy sealed from water and humidity ensuring longer life from your moonlight.

Compact size and unlimited mounting angles make our moonlights the easiest to mount and adjust.

Beautiful 468nm blue light simulates natural moon light in your aquarium.

Moonlight plays an important role in the lives of aquatic creatures. Fish, invertebrates, and photosynthetic corals are all intimately bound to the natural lunar cycles. By recreating lunar luminescence in aquariums you may not only benefit the tanks inhabitants, but add aesthetic value to the aquarium. Our modular moonlights are a good addition to any aquarium, including reef, saltwater and freshwater systems. This system includes the Moon Controller, one Moontube Moonlight, 120VAC power supply, operating instructions, and mounting clips for the moonlight. We recommend one Moontube per 25-40 gallons of tank volume. For larger systems, additional Moontubes can be purchased separately. The Moon Controller is a micro-processer based digital dimmer and moon cycle timer. In moon cycle mode, the controller varies the intensity of the moonlight over a 29.5 day period to mimic the lunar cycle. Simply plug everything in and the Moon Controller does the rest. The Moon controller can also be used to manually dim the moon lights from 0 to 100% with no flickering. Because changing the controller to manual mode does not interfere with the timing of the moon cycle, you can feel free to play with the moonlight at any time. When the controller is turned back to auto mode, the correct amount of time will have elapsed. Furthermore, the controller will remember its place if the power goes out (though the cycle will not continue during the outage). Best of all, all this functionality is in a 1" by 2" package that can be mounted virtually anywhere.

5. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I dont think they provide any benefit except to the person viewing the reef at night I love my moolights because I can observe things that only come out at night without disturbing them like with the flashlight.

6. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Oh yeah mine run for about 7 hrs after the atinics have shut down then I have total darkness for a few hours then the atinics come back followed by the halides an hour later and repeat.

7. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

thanks guys, thats what i thought ill keep mine as a buffer between total darkness and my actinics.