moon lighting questions? Thought heavy

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by 10acrewoods, Dec 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I paid 30$ for the moonlight, and got free shipping because I odered an AquaC (over 175$). I will say that I'm more impressed with these R2's than the Current powerbrites. TheCurrent's are very spotty, and the R2 spreads nicely compared to the $50-60 Current pircepoint. i also bought the R2 because of lack of space, the only thing I wonder about is the electrical connection getting salt creep in it. So I will clean it regulary.

I agree with the moon/gravity. I've seen major crab and horseshoe crab egg laying, as well as turtle egg laying during different moon/tides when I lived on the beach. Very cool! I'm thinking about putting my hydor on a timer to turn on every few hours, since adding my skimmer added more flow, to maybe simulate generic tides. hmm

2. Click Here!

3. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

I am sure the true process is much more complex than we are touching upon. I think there must be a time during the year when the wobble of the Earth causes the moon to be closer to the equator than anywhere else. Maybe that timing factors in. Maybe there is a time of year where the water currents bring a temperature change that factors in.

I know there is some precident for sexual reproduction in captivity. I have heard of spawning events happening in tanks. I am going to look more into this.

4. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Guess i'll find out when I hook up the controller, how effective it is.

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

yes very much so. I only think we are knicking the surface of the whole spawing thing. But then again maybe one of use will be the key to figure out what really makes a coral spawn.
    Some of the factors may include
    Light Gravity Food in water colum Tidal affects Temp. others spawning age of item spawing trace elements in water and probably more than I could think of.
    I figure it is like cracking a safe and that is somthing we all need to try to do. It could only help our hobbie.

6. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I too leave my moonlights on 24/7 and I've often wondered about the effect this has. Fish don't seem stressed but who really knows.
    I would love to find a stand alone controller that would controll my AAT moonlights (hint hint Roger) please make me a controller between your diaper changing and feeding times! I've read that many inverts will spawn according to the lunar cycle. Makes perfect sense with as many land animals that do the same thing.

Please keep us updated on this. Very interesting.

7. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

This motivates me more to setup the moonlight controller!!!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

glad i could inspire