moon lighting questions? Thought heavy

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by 10acrewoods, Dec 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

First question: I have moon lights on my tank and most stuff that I have read says that they are just for show. I usualy run my lighting every night and have stuck it on a timer. Do you think I should not run all night long or is this ok? Was thinking in stress factor for fish.

Second question: So along the thought that moon light might have a affect on fish and possibly coral, I started to think that maybe I should try to cycle the moon light to the moon itself. My orginal thought would be to attach 2 timers to one another and try to set is so moon lights wouldn't come on all night and there would be a longer cycle. For example:
    First timer is set on a 8hr cycle Thus replicating the night cycle. Second time would be set on a 14hr cycle(this would be no where close to a real luner cycle for demenstration only)1st night 8 hr moon light, 2nd night 6hr moon light, 3rd night no light. I am sure with some luner cycle I could figure out how to do this with timers. (I am sure a computer could do this better but I am just a cheep hillbilly) If there is some computer genius maybe he could help with a luner program please chime in. But any way Maybe I could tie this in with a real luner schedual and simulate real moon shifts with lighthing. Don't know what affects might be, but might help determin a coral spawn or reduce fish stress or somthing of that natrue.

This might even be a great program to tie in with jets to replicate a moons tidal affects.

Now thinking even deeper I know that moons lumens might be lower on other nights so dimmers might be added into equation.

Just some crazy thoughts. any opinions good bad I don't care

2. Click Here!

3. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

I only have my moon lights on for 3 hrs a night. As far as putting your lights on a lunar schedule I bet there would be no difference. My guess is the tide would need to be replicated, which would be a hard thing to do.

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

that is why I figure a computer could help in this matter.

5. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i don't see how moon light is benificial in a closed system... i can imagine it providing some sort of balance to a massive ecosystem, but in a small one i just dont see the logic behind it

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  6. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

Aqualung just got his moonlight system that has a 29 day cycle using LEDs
    and the LEDs use dimmers I think he said

7. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

The blue moon light (I hear) stimulates coral reproduction and tissue repair... i agree, in a closed system it might not matter or it could be the complete opposite and matters more than we think...corals are very mysterious

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

1st question - Completely valid. Hard to say. Some spectrums of 'moonlights,' if not most, are probably visible to the fish. So that plus leaving it on all night, which is more often that the moon is out, probably could stress fish if they can't avoid it.

2nd question - an interesting endeavor that you could learn something from, but there are controllers out there with moon cycles pre-programmed out there already. Perhaps it's cheaper to buy one? R2 Solutions Moonlight Controller

1 person likes this.
  10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yes, their are atleast a couple companies that produce a moon liight that is hooked up to a computerized monitor that changes the intensity of the moons based on the moon cycle!

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Thanks matt I am glad to see I am not the only one That was thinking along this thoughts. Might have to try this also. Thanks all for answering my questions.

12. SeanS

SeanS Astrea Snail

I believe that the scientists have said that, as said above, coral reproduction is not just linked to the tides, but also to the moon cycles. The only way to be linked to moon cycles would be the amount of light being spilled on the shallower water corals by the waxing and the wanning of the moons.