Moon Lighting Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Tight Lipped, Sep 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I have only had mine for 1 week. These are things I have noticed, also I have not run them overnight for the following reasons. Fish can not shut their eyes, so they can,t sleep when the lights are on--my scooter blenny and the clown are active when they are on. Also the moon doesn't throw out that much light every night just around the full moon faze, it keeps me awake then too. therefore it may be good to run them sometimes with the moons cycle or for a few hours in the evening, but I would think it would end up stressing everything if it were every night.

2. Click Here!

3. sauce-n-tank

sauce-n-tank Feather Duster

oh yea of coarse it depends where you have your lights and how you have your rocks.. and i do also agree that if there is a bit of light infront of the fish the cant shut there eyes and go to sleep even if they have there hiding spots and my clowns also stay active when they are on wich is not good as well cause they tend to follow the light where ever its at

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  4. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

There are plenty of spots in the dark for them.

I have an led every 3" but I have a jumper on one to make the lights brighter, I am going to remove that, I also built into the stip two switches.

there are 4 strips and I can have all 4 strips on or only two in an alternating pattern.

I like the idea of shutting it down after a few hours instead of all night, I will do that.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Mine like to have the T.V left on .

6. Brendan275

Brendan275 Astrea Snail

I think it just depends on your thank, rock work, and fish/inverts/ect. behavior. I have run mine all night for the past 2 years and never had any problems. But I think if your noticing things in your tank aren't doing well with that have them kick on for only a few hours :D

7. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

i like moonlights for a few reasons... taking pics, they look cool, and they make pics look cool hahah. Otherwise they have no positive or negative effect on corals or inverts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Shucks Roger, mine ask for the stereo played until 2:30 A.M. then the fan has to be running( I hate that cause I get cold). Moon lights are a novelty. As tangster said it's more for viewing pleasure. Gravitational pull and tides are pretty hard to duplicate at home. Although, we are currently trying to re-create the black hole and the "Big Bang" as earth natives. If they were actually "moon lights" they would cost alot of money$$$$$$$$$. Could you imagine the fragging/propogation possibilities????????????????? Talk about tank raised.....

10. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

my scooters and clown goby seem to get really active in search of food when the moon lights come on as all the lil fauna disperse.

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Alright, what's your secret for taking such a stunningly great pic? I have a Canon sx100 that I consider a pretty good digital camera, but I NEVER get pics as good as this. Not even close. Are you using a tripod? And what are your settings? Manual? Automatic? Macro? Any info, so I can stop looking like a novice with my camera, would be greatly appreciated.

12. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

haha...
    tripod- yes for corals and full tank shots, no for fish.
    i always shoot in manual and the settings im always adjusting on the fly as i look at my meters.
    To be honest i really dont know what i am doing. I just got the camera in december for chanumas. guess i just picked it up quickly. So, i have only been using a dslr for about 9 months....