Moon Lighting Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Tight Lipped, Sep 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

Hello

I built an LED blue moon light bar for my 55 Gal aquarium that is set to go on every night after the lights go out.

I noticed that the corals do not close as much when they are on and have had them on every night for several months.

The other night they had not turned on and noticed my corals closed up more and more invert action.

Question here is, this light mimics the same wavelength of the moon but is this good for the aquarium???

What is actually best to ensure a healthy aquarium.

This is a full reef with 1/3 live rock
    Several Fish
    Anenome
    Hermit Crabs
    Shrimp
    hard and soft corals.
    Sandy substrate
    440 watts of light, 220 super actinic, 220 white HO t-12 bulbs

2. Click Here!

3. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

I think it's good as long as your not overdoing it with the moonlights. I know people that stick like 50 freaking LED's in their tanks and call it moonlights. I swear, you can see the fish wearing sunglasses!

4. fishtongue

fishtongue Astrea Snail

Born and raised in the Florida sun. Fort Lauderdal
    You also want a natural moon setting as well. A timer set for a couple hours after lights out can help with invert action. The moon is not full every night. However I have never heard of moonlights causing damage except having to many of them.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Do you mean:

A timer set to leave the moon lights on for only a couple hours after main lights go out can help with invert action

or do you mean

A timer set so the moon lights don't come on until a couple hours after the main lights go out can help with invert action

?

Thanks!

6. JohnnyBoy

A timer so it comes on right after your main lights turn off. Atleast that's how I've always seen it done.

7. sauce-n-tank

sauce-n-tank Feather Duster

i have tried various moonlight settings and i have come to my own conclusion that it is not good too keep to many moon lights on cause i noticed it keeps your fish up too long so i notice them more stressed out the next morning and also keeping the moon lights on also for too long as well so try to switch it up once an a while cause there is not a fool moon every day.

8. Click Here!

9. JohnnyBoy

I really don't even need a timer as I only put on my moonlights every once in a while and never for more than 1.5 to 2 hrs

10. sauce-n-tank

sauce-n-tank Feather Duster

i pretty much do the same but one day when i get real lazy ill give my moon lights there own timer cause i hate having to get up and turn them off lol

11. green1_8team

green1_8team Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

As far as stressing your fish out and keeping them up, not so much in my situtation do to shaded sleeping spots. Might just be in your situation because i have white and blue leds to simulate the moons wavelengths and my fish are in their sleeping spots an hour after they come on and dont move til i return to my house in the morning in the same spot sleeping. My intervals are set to;
    blue led-5-830am and 630-1030pm
    white led-6-830am and 6-8pm

my corals have been doing great and since this addition of the led lights my frogspawn has split twice and not to mention it looks awesome lit up

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Unless you live in a cave ? or mine the light of the moon lamps do or add nothing other then allowing one to look in thier aquariums at night. Even in the ocean Its not the light of the moon :) its the gravitational pull of the moon on the oceans water creating more currents and higher tides that influence the corals not the light. I run a bar sometimes but it's more for backlighting the room not the tank or corals .