moon light

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by cira030, Nov 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

ive done research but i cant find anything. what is the point of moonlights and are they really nesisary? will it be benificial?

2. Click Here!

3. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

From my understanding there for show if you meen moon lights being Blue LEDs

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

They really only serve as a "cool" factor and help you view nocturnal creatures. Some will argue they help with dusk/dawn effect. But they are not necessary at all and are not really beneficial either.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

They don't help, but there nice to have. I watch my tank by the moonlights almost as much as with the PCs

7. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

when there selling you on moonlites they say by useing rhythmic luminance is very useful in spawning captive animals. i guess everything needs a little lite. i would'nt like my bedroom dark with the room full of all kinds of animals

8. Click Here!

9. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

on the reverse side some fish eggs may not hatch if there is a moonlight on, when developed the hatching is triggered by darkness.

MO they aren't necessary but they make the tank look great at night. i recommend one 1 watt blue led.

11. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

And I noticed from the Pros they have light on 3 separate timers one for sunlight one for ACTs and one for moonlights so there is a period when it is dark 4 timers counting fuge

12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Just suppose you could regulate the amount of moonlights that come on to be perportioned the same as a usual monthly moon cycle? Now that's interesting to think about... I purchased a moonlight strip for my 65 gal tank on ebay that I'm picking up tomorrow that could easily be set up manually by lessening the light little by little as the moon goes through it's cycle. Devising some kind of way to shade off the lights one by one everyday or every other day would be cool. Amazing! Get on it you DIYers and give us some ideas on how to do it. I saw a moonlight set for sale on ebay or a website that had a dimmer switch. If LED's can be dimmed that would be the easy way and natural. Just an idea.