Moon light kit

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by Mike Edwards123, Jun 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mike Edwards123

Mike Edwards123 Plankton

I have my lights in as well as my 4 led moonlight kit. Are the moon light kits intended to stay on all night or should I just put them on a timer. Would love to run them with a true moon phase set up but not ready for a controller yet. Any cheaper option for moon phase simulation?

2. Click Here!

3. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm no expert so you may wanna wait for someone else to chime in but you would need to dim your LEDs depending on the phase along with a timer

You an buy a timer but to dim then I'm not sure how, I would say a different set of LEDs maybe

4. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Some people leave their moonlights on 24/7, others have them on timers to come on when their regular lights go off. Either way works fine, but in terms of moon phase simulation the cheapest way would be to get multiple drivers and simply put them all on different timers so for example only a couple come on at first, the next two a couple hours later, then shut the two back off and finally all 4 off.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Couldn't you use your new Nano driver to power the moon lights with a Controller and ramp up/down?

6. Mike Edwards123

Mike Edwards123 Plankton

As far as leaving them on all night, I was.concerned about interrupting their sleep. Had them on quite a bit last night and my fish did not Act as they usually do.

As far as the controller I am meaning mimicking the true moon phase. My boosted controller can't do that.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I'm assuming you mean the BoostLED Typhon controller. They can simulate moon phases, but do not come preset. There is quite a bit of coding involved in order to do this. I don't have one myself but have looked int the possibility of DIY LEDs and doing just this.

If you do choose to run moonlights on all night, I would set them at their lowest setting before you figure out how to simulate the moon.

8. Click Here!

9. dimpthepimp

dimpthepimp Bristle Worm

My setup is three boosted led par30 bulbs and a strip of blue leds that i leave on all the time. And i have a timer on the par30 bulbs so when they turn off the moon light are on.

10. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Yes, you could as long as you had a 0-10V controller (ie. Reef Keeper w/ ALC, Apex, etc) to control them.