MontiPora Frag

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Bruce, Nov 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hello i just bought a frag of orange branching montipora and it is attached to the rock with some kind of glue..well it fell off with the glue i used some appoxy to let it stand would it be better to drill a hole or somthing so i can encrust?...will it encrust on apoxy?...lol thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hello anyone here?

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Bruce, I don't have any experience with epoxy as a way to put a frag on a rock. I'm not sure if it is toxic or not while it cures, I know most of the quick 5 minute types have rubber in as a binder? My wife uses super glue and most of the time it works well. Which surprised me but if you read around in the threads everyone else uses it as well. I'm not sure what you mean by drilling a hole? In the rock or in the stalk of the monitipora? I'll do some research.
    Jim

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Just use superglue gel and attach the frag to a small piece of rock (take the frag out of the water to do this). Then use reef safe epoxy to attach the small piece of rock to your reef. Drilling a hole won't make the coral encrust onto the rock any faster than glueing the frag will :)

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i used some epoxy cuz well..i dont have super glue lol...should i buy some or will the epoxy be ok? it is not toxic so...eh

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

As long as the epoxy is safe and holding the frag in place, it should be fine. You might want to pick up some superglue in the future though but make sure you buy the gel when you do :)

10. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Super glue is the best, havent you seen the commercial where they glue the chair to the celing!!!!!!!! ::) Go for super glue bruce, itll save you the head ache of remounting your frags and it will stay where you put it.

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

lol a chair on the ceiling...ha now ive heard of people sitting high but thats rediculious (cricket, cricket)...i know ur out there ppl i hear u breathing....(ha ha ha)

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Bruce. i use epoxy all the time. Yes it's a pain but when you want to attach something to a rock you can't pill out it's the best thing. just remember to use enough and really work it in. Also everything the epoxy touches will die. but once it is hard the Acro will encrust over it.

J