Montipora Depth

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Regf, Dec 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi there everyone,

Just curious question, i've read some mix opinions about the positioning of montipora capriconis corals in various tanks. So I was wondering how far away or down from your lights do you position your montis?

I understand variables such as the strength of your light fixture play a huge role in the positioning of your corals, so im currently running a 6bulb t5 fixture, my tank is roughly 21'' deep with about 5-6'' between the light and water. How far from the bottom would you suggest I put the montis (Assuming flow isnt an issue)?

Thank you kindly,

Larry

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I've seen montis grow right up to where it breaks the water. They are light hogs. But I will say this, if you put it at the top, you run the risk of it shading out everything below. They can grow quite fast.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

ALWAYS light acclimate corals. No matter where they're coming from I always start my SPS on the bottom of the tank.

Seems like you have a pretty good amount of light, I would definitely start near if not on the bottom to reduce the risk of bleaching, and gradually work it up to a spot you like. As kevin said, their growth pattern easily shades out other corals, so keep that in mind.

After acclimation, I've always like my montis in high light/flow as it produces interesting growth patterns. HTH

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Your set up is pretty close to mine. I have a 8 bulb T5 fixture though. I have moved my Monti all over the tank. I started it low like Va mentioned. Now it's up high and I've started to notice growth until I cracked it in half yesterday!

6. nightkidsi

nightkidsi Plankton

Some of my monti is setup about 1-3 inchs from the top and its already starting to shade below with it tripling in size in just under a year, so be careful on placement and always plan for future growth.

7. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

This - for this reason I'm done with any plating montis. I might even put a stop on encrusting varieties too. I've got one that has taken over a section of my tank, growing to about 12" round and plating out over the edge, blocking light below.

Also there's the whole iodine thing with them. Not that much of a pain to keep up with, but still.