Montipora cap - edge disolving?

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by conjuay, Nov 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Stopped by LFS, noticed someone broke off a little of the orange cap -Asked if I could have it and scored!

Got it home, dipped it, and banded it to a high spot in the tank. Thread-like substance starts oozing, from one piece... then the edge literally starts to dissolve!
    Calcium is high, PH 8.3 any ideas?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Can you post any pics?

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

use superglue gel, dont rubber band it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Orange Cap Monti's are soft anyways.. As mentioned by geek never rubber band a sps to a rock :) just use some gel type super glue.. But all that have ing been said I'd quarantine that frag for 3 months .. The Monti eating nudi's are running rampant and they tend to feed on monti cap first and a main choice and they weaken their skeleton even more and makes it very soft and crumbly.. And a dip will not kill their eggs also laid in folds and crevices and along the edge of the host coral.
    Be careful just putting any coral into your tank these days more Coral disease and pest then I have ever before seen or heard of in my entire life messing with aquariums..

The ozzing is just a slime or a simple mucus all sps corals make to rid themselves of an irratation . Like humans with a head cold..:)

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

A lot of the diseases and parasites getting around has a lot to do with people not realizing they have them, and then pass them off to other people. Those other people think they are getting healthy corals and then they get it, and so on and so fourth until somebody dips something and catches and then nobody has a clue where it came from.

Like Tangy said, dipping does not kill eggs, you have to quarantine all corals and fish, and dip them 2 more times while in a QT. Its better to be extremely cautious then it is to have your display infested. I no longer have a display as a result.

2 people like this.
  7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

We got red bugs and monti eating nudibranchs by trading with fellow club members. Suffice it to say that I won't be putting ANY corals into the tank ever again unless they come from Tangster's shop.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

OMFG are you serious??? Dude that SUCKS! I'm sorry buddy! Karma to ya!

1 person likes this.
  10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Ive got a lot going on right now, and tired of dealing with all the problems Ive had over this past year, so my display tank is now a temp frag tank until I figure out what Im going to do. Ive got all the liverock sitting outside on the back patio dried out. Ive got a 40g set up with my black and white clowns in it along with a few corals that have never been in my other tank that had the problems. Ive gotta rearrange my fish room/man cave(as Sarah calls it, haha) to make room for some projects Im going to start hopefully this month. Then the old display is going to be totally broke down the rest of the way, and probally sold off to help fund my the new one I plan on doing or be used a huge quarantine tank. Im weighing my options on everything right now. Trying to maximize space and budget.

Im going to have some stuff for sale pretty soon that has never touched my old display tank and that has been dipped 3+ times and quarantined. Mainly zoa's and paly's.

1 person likes this.
  11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Ive gotten dinoflagelettes, flatworms (the red planaria kind not the AEFW), nudibranchs, ich and various other things. Youve seen the pics Annik, haha.

EDIT: I forgot about asterinas, but I caught them during dipping, so they never saw the tank.

EDIT2: I forgot about the glass anemones and hydroids/actual jellyfish as well.

12. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Well, the slime part I was expecting, it was the "melting" that surprised me. I did a 33% water change, then the following day drained down another 33% and superglued the frag.
    There are some areas that retain color, but the drying to glue it really took it's toll. Much of the frag turned white. We'll see if it starts to hold it's own in the next day or two, I suppose...

Sorry to hear I'm not the only one having problems!

(I was kinda hoping it would get easier at some point.)