monti

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Dingo, Aug 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

so my friend was getting rid of his tank and he gave me a very large frogspawn and another coral of his. He didnt know what it was but I can tell it is some type of encrusting montipora... The frogspawn is doing great (so great that it actually killed one of my previous frogspawn frags in a matter of a few hours!!!)
    But as for the monti, I have not seen the polyps out once since I put it in (over 24 hrs ago) except for under my moonlights a single polyp was barely visible, but not extended...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to whats going on here? I was under the impression that monti's were fairly hardy

2. Click Here!

3. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

4. ivydog

ivydog Feather Duster

thay are hardy
    just give it time the polys well come out soon

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

As stated, they are fairly hardy, it may take a few weeks to see the polyps come out. Also, a frogspawn will not kill another frogspawn, members of that family, including torches and hammers, can be placed right next to each other without them stinging each other. You may want to investigate to determine if it was something else that killed your frag.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

well i am up at my house at college now... and my camera is 2 hours away so im sorry, no pictures.

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

im almost positive my frag was killed by the new frogspawn. the new one had its sweepers out last night...
    guess i put them a few inches too close :(

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

the frogspawn did not kill the other frogspawn. They can't, they are not equipped to do so. Euphyllia will not kill euphyllia. (the only difference is a torch can kill the others)

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I meant to say "not kill." As Dan said, members of Euphyllia will not harm each other.

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

hmmm interesting... well im not too worried about the frogspawn, but i am more worried about the montipora
    thank you all for any help though