monti question

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by ziggy222, Mar 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

is it normal on a large monti cap to have white skeleton showing on the underside neer the base where less light hits it?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Mine is also white, I think that is normal ziggy.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sounds normal to me. :)

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

weeee thats good news thanks

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Now, that being said, does the coral still have flesh and polyps in the white areas? If it does, you have no worries. If it doesn't, I'd keep an eye on it to see if the tissue recedes any further than the base.

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the area has grown very slow and i have seen a cpl flat brown dots and its hard to see under it but it looks like in the white area there are no polyps.also.on the top there is now a small white spot on the opposit side.it may be time to buy some flat worm exit.it happened to a green one and i fragged it and cut off the white parts and its great now and growing faster but this one would be harder to cut cause its shape so i'd rather treet it if needed.i had a small crash where i lost a pavona,pocillipora,and a hydnophora.the tank is stable now but maybe this is an after effect.i'll get pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Have you broken out the magnifying glass to check for montipora eating nudibranchs? In my experience, they like to eat the underside of monti caps before heading towards the top of the coral. I hope that this is not the case for you but it can't hurt to check it out :)

10. glassbox-design

glassbox-design Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ziggy, it looks good. I would just check the white areas to be sure you do not have any pests and also verify your alkalinity readings.

It's normal for the tissue to be lighter on the underside, and in some cases in larger pieces for it to become completely white with no tissue (bare skeleton)

This can be due to everything from an absolute lack of light, to air bubbles being caught on the underside for a prolonged period of time.

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Mine all have white edges.... Healthy growth from what I've heard...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  12. deepbluesea

deepbluesea Astrea Snail