Monti Problem

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Frizza, Apr 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi all,

Since I moved my Monti a week or so ago he has started to what looks like shed it's skin! I haven't got anything new but I did have to glue him into place as the rock that he was glued on broke off. I used some coral putty to do it and I don't know if it has had a reaction to it or what. There is still a reasonable amount that hasn't been affected by this so I dont know whether to frag the good bits or whether it may make a recovery.

Has anyone had anything similar to this?

Many thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats not sheding, Its dieing. Have you checked your paras?

4. cornfacereef

cornfacereef Astrea Snail

That skin seems to be very thin to begin with, I dont think you are suppose to blast your powerhead on it so close.

Where you fingers dirty when you pushed it into the putty, because any kind of lotion or soap would make it do that.

Good thing I dont want those they look very expensive.

5. Frizza

I checked my parms last week and all is pretty good. The only thing I haven't tested for recently is my phosphate, but I can't see that being a problem.
    My other sps corals are doing well and where it has gone white is in the same place it is in contact with the putty, which is why I thought this might of been the problem.

So, if it's dieing then I suppose I need to frag the good bits? Or should I wait and see what happens?

6. cornfacereef

cornfacereef Astrea Snail

I would try to take the coral out and super glue around the edges where the skin is peeling from.

Maybe you can put a nylon net over the coral so it keeps the tissue tight.

Good luck.

7. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Montapora plate coral is fairly easy for the beginner'
    it may have been already stressed ie, "lack of intense lighting"
    poor water quality'' , such as high nitrate's ,

and not to forget > proper ALK/PH and MG/cal

but these things survive on light' if you have a lighting shortage to begin with' i would suggest moving it to with 3/4 inches of the water line,
    actinics' are not enough' ( i dont know what combination of lighting you have and wattage other than t-5 ,4 tube

you also make no mention of what "bio-load" you have on this 80 gallon tank , ie. how many fish ? ( meaning if you have quite a few , your most likely feeding heavaly and thats messing with proper water quality to begin with )

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The coral is RTN-ing and fast. I would snap some pieces off asap and try to save some frags. Have you checked the coral for montipora eating nudibranchs?

10. Frizza

I have looked for those little nudi's but couldn't see anything, it's looks like it's peeling rather than being munched! I think I will break the good bits off and see how it goes. Would it be better to use superglue rather than epoxy?

Cheers again

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes, epoxy gets hot while it cures so it will damage the coral if you use it.

1 person likes this.
  12. Frizza

Ahh that might be why then! Stupid thing says its fine for sps corals, ohhh well live and learn I suppose!

Thanks for your help, I'm off to break up my monti! ;D