Monti Edge Crust: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by slocal, Jan 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. slocal

slocal Doot!

Monti is a few months old now and for the past month and a half has been developing a soft crust around it's non-encrusting edges. The monti is growing on the encrusting side at a steady pace. The crust on the outward edges makes it hard for us to tell if it's doing alright. The crust appears to have polyps on there but it isn't hard at all and is just growing thicker. It looks a bit disheveled right now due to my clumsy hand bumping part of the edge while dealing with some pesky GSP.

All water params are alright thought calcium was a little low this week. It's in the mid-high skyline of the tank with indirect flow from a K2. Could the flow from the K2 be causing the monti to stop plating?

Any ideas on what this is? The pic that the thumbnail links to can be clicked on to see full size.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Can't really tell for sure, but it looks good to me...

1 person likes this.
  4. slocal

slocal Doot!

We're guessing it's fine as well since it isn't showing any outright signs of dying. Just kind of wish it would plate out more. Thanks for the response

5. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

Mine grew up and instead of out for a while then started out and then for some unknown reason it turned from orange to pink then white. It is still a lil pink around the edge but very dry to the touch and no slime at all so it died. Good Luck. As with most tank's there is a coral that just will not live in it I guess that is mine.

6. slocal

slocal Doot!

Yeah.....orange monti for me :-X