Molting mantis!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kashoub, Aug 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Ok awesome. Thanks guys :)

2. Click Here!

3. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

It's been like 4 or 5 days since the start of the molt. I had a towel covering his tank and I took it off and peeked in on him. He's kinda wrapped up and scrunched up. Not on his side anymore but still kinda leaning. He looks like he's doing fine. Think it's safe to put the light back on and get him some food? Or should i wait another day or two?

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I would wait a couple more days just to be safe.

5. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

6. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Well...it's been 4 days and he's still alive. So thats good. I think he's at the tail end of his molt. Which is good. I'm gonna give him another day or two to make sure everything is ok before i turn on the light and take off the towel. I peaked in on him today and saw one of his crushers on the sand floor :( lol. But he has new one's. Just the first look scared me. haha. Any ideas on when i know it's ok to take off the towel and turn on the light? Like i know it's been four days but i wanna make sure he's ok. I don't wanna stress him and then he dies. What are some signs that i can observe to know he's nearing the end?

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

general moving around and no loose pieces of exoskeleton hanging off of it

8. Click Here!

9. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Alright. Thank you all for the advice. And being there during this new experience for me. I appreciate all your advice and hard work that led you being able to help me out. MUCH thanks.

10. micstarz

micstarz Astrea Snail

A mantis preparing for a molt will not lay on it's side out in the open. This is usually a sign of weakness or an ailment. If it starts refusing food and becoming less sociable, then that's a sign that it will molt soon so prepare for abstinence from water changes, ph swings, or anything of the dramatic sort.

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Maybe this is a silly question but why are molts so hard on mantis?

12. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

I think molting is difficult on all crustaceans, insects, arachnids, etc. It is a stressful time for them and especailly if conditions are not perfect (like an aquarium with other inhabitants), can be even more stressful. The best thing to do with ANYTHING molting is to leave it alone and let nature take its course IMO