Molting mantis!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kashoub, Aug 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

generally about a week depends on age health diet yada yada but bert usually take about a week.... just peek in on him now and then ....using a red flashlight is best

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

DONT DO ANYTHING!!!

Turn off the lights, dont peak in on him, dont get any pictures or anything.

He is having problems and molts are very stressful on mantis. The fact that he is lying on his side means he is already struggling...anything done to him will kill him.

I just lost my mantis to a molt....

again turn off lights, cover his tank if you can with a towel or somehting to block off his light and pray!

1 person likes this.
  4. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

do i feed him during this time or what?

5. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

cause a week is a long time without food. Will he be ok?

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

excellent advice shackmel. good that a seasoned mantis owner came up with the good advice. they need a peaceful setting to get through the difficult molts that takes a while to get through. physically draining and stressful for them. leave it in peace to work its way through. and im pretty sure it has no appetite for eating, other things on its mind.

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Absolutely not. A mantis has no problem going for a week without food, especially during a molt. He won't eat any food you poke in at him, you will just stress him out.

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

+1 will probably not eat for a couple days at least after the molt. Bob didnt eat for about 5 days before, then the week and then a couple days after. They have no appetite and are very soft and vulnerable at that point
    good luck

10. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Thank you for the advice. :)

11. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

How do i know when the molt is complete? It's been 3 days since he started. Well almost 3 days. It'll be 3 tonight

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It won't hide and will be out and about looking for food. (Usually about a week after the molt is done)