Molly with a swollen eyeball

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Eli_The_Eel, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Eli_The_Eel

Eli_The_Eel Fire Worm

I just picked up a new sailfin molly for my FW tank about two weeks ago, and I just noticed today that he has a large bulbous left eye. Its hard to see in the picture, but if you've seen anything like it before, you could probably recognize it.

101_0024.JPG

I guess it could just be a natural problem, I just hope it's not a disease that's going to murder all of my fish.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

May be an injury or a infection ? Have have you added any salt to the tanks water ? You may want to find out what pop eye looks like .. And treat for that is necessary.. Mollies as well as most all live bearer's do..From platty's to Guppies . Mollies really benefit from a little non-iodized table or marine aquarium salt being added to their water.

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I thought once popeye was there that was it - good bye fish. Isnt pop eye basically tuberculosis

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I don't know about it being tuberculosis, never heard that before. A fish having Popeye is usually a sign that there is something else wrong.
    There really isn't any treatment for it other than doing water changes and keeping the tank clean. .

Here is two real good articles on Popeye for both fresh and Marine fishes. The one about fresh water mentions using Epsom salts to draw the
    liquids out of the eye, I have never heard of that before but it stands to reason that it should work.

Fresh Water Popeye

Salt Water Popeye.