mold resistant silicone

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by antole, Oct 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. antole

antole Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok so I built a new sup out of a 40 gallon breeder tank I checked and read the silicone over 2 times and It says 100% silicone nothing about mold resistance. So I grabbed 2 tubs of it, built my sump let it cure washed it 4 times, put it on my system 4 about 12 hours and my corals looked like crap did all my tests everything is well in line CA 430, alk 8.9, po4 .003, nitrate 0, ph 8.2, sal 1.025
    So I go back to the silicone tube 1 tube says has mold inhibitor in it :confused:
    same tube everything even same box. So I pull the sump off line put my old one back up. I then did a 50% water change waited a day and all looks good again except my leathers and bubble coral. Did a second 50% change. Now 2 days later still same corals looking like crap. Have change my carbon 2 times. Does anyone know what else I can do? I plan on doing another change tonight but wanted to get your thoughts. Damn GE silicone.

2. Click Here!

3. antole

Tank size is a 90 gallon

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Sorry to hear that. Are you running GAC? I'd probably run a lot of it. Could also try a poly Filter and/or Purigen. Water changes, skimming. Also may want to shorten the photoperiod for a few days, maybe even just run actinics. Sometimes Lott can be stressful to a sick coral.

5. antole

Im use bulk reef ROX 8.0 I will get purigen

6. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Leathers are often times slow to recover also. Same goes for most "tentacle" covered LPS, such as your bubble coral. After major parameter based damage it takes a while. I agree with the GAC and Purigen as mentioned above, try changing the carbon every ~3days for a week or so.

7. antole

does anyone know what chemical is in the silicone?

8. Click Here!

9. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Vinzyene is the most typical for mold resistance. Also many "mold resistant" silicone brands have Methyltriacetoxysilane in them, which is a form of acid, that maybe causing your issues.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  10. antole

I have scraped all the silicone that I used in the sump and purchased aquarium safe stuff now. I used a razor scraper and looks like there is no residue left. Is this sufficient or should I treat it with a chemical of some type?

11. antole

Can purigen be ran in a reactor?

12. antole

Aldo if I put more than it says in the bottle will it have any ill affects?