Modified Durso for CPR Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by verbal, Nov 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to show some pics of a modification I've come up with for a Durso-inspired standpipe in a CPR overflow. I tried this design first:

http://home.att.net/~rstockman/overflow.htm

However, there was too much turbulence created as the water flowed through the holes. I then tried the square notch in the standpipe in place of the holes, but this was no better for me. I had turbulence and, hence, loud noise.

I tried to come up with a way to create more laminar flow down the pipe. I thought why not just put another tube in there to break up the turbulence.

I toyed with some flexible tubing at first but then discovered CPVC. I use 5/8" CPVC tube inside the 1" PVC standpipe. I reamed a hole in the original PVC cap large enough to accept the CPVC, then capped the CPVC with the appropriate cap with some holes drilled in it.

There's some pics below.

I have a 600gph CPR overflow matched with a ViaAqua 3600 pump in the sump. I guess we're probably getting 400-500gph of flow, and this standpipe has handled this nicely.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

Another photo:

Attached Files:

4. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

One last shot:

Attached Files:

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NICE WORK VERBAL!!

I'm floored. You are a PVC artist! [smiley=beatnik2.gif]

Any shots of it in action?

8)

6. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

Here it is in action:

Attached Files:

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow that's smooth. I don't see any turbulance. I think you nailed it! Nice work. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

The over flow holding area on the pre-filter looks like it is sealed? Is this true? and how does this work?
    I have heard alot of bad thing when pretianing to CPR overflows so I don't know much about them and never seem them in action.
    I really want to know what I am looking at to cut to the chase here.

But it looks cool Verbal. Karma coming at ya.

10. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

The overflow holding area has a loose fitting acrylic top. The big complaint with these overflows is that air eventually builds in the U-turns of the siphon, slowing siphon rates until, potentially, all siphon is lost. CPR has manufactured these units with a port on top of the U-turns to allow hobbyists to remove this air as it builds up (either by mouth or via a pump).

I must admit that I do see air collecting at the top of the u-turns. I know this slows my siphon rate. I have not however lost siphon entirely, even during power outages. I do suck the air out of the u-turns everyday, though. The standpipe modification has no impact on this property of the overflow.

Here's a picture showing the air evacuation port and where the air tends to trap. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
  11. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

And here's a schematic of flow through the unit.

Attached Files:

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I don't see that as a unique flaw to CPR overflows.
    In the old school overflows, I'd get air in the u-tubes too. I'd have to stick an air-line up there and suck it out occasionally. Your way looks easier.