"moderate Flow"

Discussion in 'Coral' started by conjuay, Apr 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

How do you determine what "Moderate Flow" is?

2. Click Here!

3. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

It seems like the coral determines that :) If u are asking for coral placement id just try a few different areas of the tank and see how they react. U can usually tell in an hour or so where they are gonna do the best. Thats been my experience anyway

4. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

yeah i just kinda guaged it on what it looked like with the corals aswell, ^^ well put!!!

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

That's what I do.. Kinda move things around until their happy.. The corals will let you know..

6. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Well, as for softees- mushrooms and ricordea shouldn't fold or bend when the current hits them, right?

But a foot tall toadstool would find that same flow that folded the shrooms weak, wouldn't it?
    The problem I'm having with letting the corals decide what is best for them is that I have some SMALL frags on some BIG plugs. For example I got a SINGLE clove polyp on a plug that must measure 2" X 1.5"s. I swear, it looks like a surfer on a longboard! But there are few places I can place this plug where the rock is flat enough to hold it.

I also have some ricordias that haven't anchored very well, and they seem like they will blow away in ANY current at all.

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I found the place with the least amt of flow and let my ricordeas anchor down to the sand and then put them where I wanted....

8. Click Here!

9. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

And you anchor them in sand, not in rubble of some sort?

Well, I'm definitely going to try breaking that one plug into smaller pieces so I can move it around some. Perhaps I'll sit some of the ricordeas on that busted rubble.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I didn't.. Just sat them in the sand with some crushed shells.... Worked for me.. JMO!!

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't like the plugs that are used for frags. You can also use one of those small betta cups(with lid). Drill numerous holes in it for flow. Fill with some larger rubble and put desired softy inside with lid until they attach.

12. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Yeah, I was using some small glass candle holders that were about twice the size of shot glasses, like I've seen others use. But there was a lot of complaints from my spouse.
    But just now I lined them up in the left front corner, provided some "stretch-out" room between them, and some rubble. They're not blowing around, which is good.
    I was able to break that huge plug with the single polyp as well, and it was actually a really cool plug after all. It was crushed shell/coral pressed into a flat oval! It actually crumbled, and the inside appeared pinkish! Have any of you come across this type of Frag plug?