Mobile Mushrooms!? Plz help

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Speedy, Oct 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

I have a red mushroom that keeps moving around my tank, it just won't stick to the rock. It's about 3.5 inches in diameter when it's fully opened. I got a much smaller (4mm diameter) green mushroom the same day. And it's found it's spot. Is there anything I can do to help it cling?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

There are a number of ways. You can use superglue underwater but mushrooms are so slimey that it can be difficult.

You can also get bridal veil from a craft store (dirt cheap). Put the mushroom where you want it, cover it with bridal veil so the current doesn't blow it around, and then hold down the bridal veil with rock rubble or rubberbands. It will attach fairly quickly.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

are the mushrooms blowing around or are they leaving the rock themselves? sometimes if a area gets crowded they will float off the rock and when they find a happy spot will reattach. you could try the glue or maby a rubber band around the base also.

5. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

I think the current is blowing it off the rock. I don't have much in the tank so it shouldn't really be very crowded. This is the only red mushroom in the tank. I only have a blue-green chromis, emerald crab, and two turbo snails. There's also a tiny green mushroom, but he's on the other side of the rock. I'm thinking about using the bridal veil, is there any downside to this method? I just recently lost one of my fish (yellow tail damsel) and I'm kind of freaked out about losing anything else.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i never tried the bridal vail method but the place i get my frags off of uses the rubberbands they work until the coral attaches itself so i know that method works well

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sorry for your loss. I know how bad that feels.

You are likely safe using either method.
    Mushrooms are very hardy.

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

EGAD! :eek:
    Both of those methods sound scary to me. I have witnessed the rubber band method I've also seen them tied down with fishing line.How long has your tank been running david? How are your water paramaters? Personally I would never use the under water glue there is nothing natural about that!
    my 2cents

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I've used both methods. the glue is great for SPS LPS or Rock to rock, but I've found with softies it's very hard to hold them, So I would go for the bridal Vail method (I have even used the plastic mess bags that hold onions). There is a short Video on GARF web site you may want to check out. It really isn't that scary.

Good Luck
    J

11. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Ok now I'm becoming a little more worried. I haven't implemented any of the techniques discussed yet, because the shroom doesn't look so good. What really worries me is that I see some strands of many bubbles, connected by what looks like a really thin mucus of some sort. He's left them behind in the areas he's been. I've included a pic, the strands are circled in red. It's not a good pic but it's the best I could do. Plz, if anybody know's anything plz help. Let me let you guys all know that your help and support is [glow=blue, 2, 300]greatly appreciated[/glow] by my wife and I. Thanks

Attached Files:

12. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I actually had a shroom do the same thing in my older tank. He looked like crap. Oozed over a couple of inches, and left behind some gunk. The gunk ended up being little baby shrooms themselves. I would sit it out for a while. You should always gauge stuff that happens in a reef in weeks not hours or days. Stuff will happen you could never predict. If your water is good (tests o.k.) Then sit back and watch maybe you wil have 5 nor 6 little clones of the original shroom!!! 8) ;D :D