MMcDonald 285 gallon Plywood Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by NASAGeek, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Maximum Water Depth (Surface to Sand)

1. 15-17"

1.8%
  2. 18-20"

5.5%
  3. 21-23"

7.3%
  4. 24-26"

32.7%
  5. 27-29"

25.5%
  6. 30-32"

18.2%
  7. 33-35"

9.1%
  1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

That looks way too complicated. Some folks don't like cuts in pipes...too easy to plug.

Here's the thing..... You do not want to provide flow in your tank from your sump. Too much head loss and too much power. Closed loops use a pump taking a suction directly off the tank and returning it to the tank. Closed loop. By doing that, there is no head loss, just circulation. So instead of a lot of power heads, One big external pump offers all the flow in the tank. By bringing it from the sump, it is an open loop and then head loss applies.

Here is the write up on the Bean design for overflow. This is only to bring water to the sump so it can be filtered and what not. It is totally silent, zero bubble... and 100% fail safe.

BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System

Here is the flow articles. It is a 4 part series, so click around for the other parts.

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals than light. Part 1. Introduction to Gas Exchange | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals than light. Part II: The science of corals and water flow | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals, Part III | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Feature Article: Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light Part 4: Basics of Hydrodynamics | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Awesome.... thanks much Powerman.

M

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

The new tank dimensions sound great. You will appreciate the extra depth that the 28" will provide.

The stand, I would do 2x6's and not 2x4's. even doubled i don't trust 2x4's s those are generally less quality pieces of wood. I think you don't need to double 2x6's. Set the tall way, they can support a ton of weight. The plywood top and sides sounds more than strong enough. Will you have a center brace for the sand?
    As for rock, that is hard to say because some rock is more dense than other rock.

The skimmer might be a tad undersized, but you might be able to mod it with another pump to skim a little more.

Great idea with making the sump out of the same construction. That will hone your skills so when you do the DT, it will be less stressful:)

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I used US Composites epoxy (635 thin) on my woody.

That stuff is great and not so $$ compared to west systems or MAS.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

If you want some good reading check out my woody build in my signature....

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

As long as you put some epoxy or epoxy paint on the cut holes fro the bulkheads, and put the bulkheads on right, there will be no issue with water getting in where it shouldn't be.

That PVC frame overflow like that looks like an accident waiting to happen. To be honest. Why not mimic mine, unless you are having the tank against the wall, then do a corner overflow, or an integrated modified calfo style back top ledge overflow?

The guys on fingerlakesreef.com really know their stuff and have a ton of good ideas. I bounced many ideas off of them.

I may know what I am doing as far as woody's, and probably the best resource here on 3reef, but those guys are like 100 times me.

8. Click Here!

9. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Overflow needs some work. The real question was: Is there an advantage in having overflows from multiple directions?? For example, 4 corner overflows??

M

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I don't see it. In order for all 3 sides to overflow seems a complicated way of doing it. If you read about Calfos coast to coast, it will talk about the importance of skimming the whole surface, but one edge side to side will accomplish that. So the side to side, (coast to coast) will accomplish good surface skimming of the whole tank, the Bean overflow is silent and fail safe. Two good things to have in a overflow. Then closed loop or internal powerheads or wave makers is another discussion.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Oh ya... another important, but maybe overlooked thing about closed loop... in a true closed loop, there is no chance for water loss other than if a bulkhead leaks. You definitly need isolation valves in the loop to be able to remove a pump.

Now the system you showed opens to a sump. You have the overflows to the sump, then return pump distributes the return to the bottom of the tank at various places......VERY bad idea. You will have to rely on check valves to keep your entire tank from draining when the pump is off. Relying on a mechanical piece to prevent your entire tank from draining over it's life is an accident waiting to happen.

12. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I haven't caught up on all the reading homework you gave me yet..... but your logic sounds rationale. Can you combine open and closed loop??? CLosed loop for circulation and open loop for skimmer/fuge etc.???

I'll catch up on the reading during the week.

M