MMcDonald 285 gallon Plywood Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by NASAGeek, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Maximum Water Depth (Surface to Sand)

1. 15-17"

1.8%
  2. 18-20"

5.5%
  3. 21-23"

7.3%
  4. 24-26"

32.7%
  5. 27-29"

25.5%
  6. 30-32"

18.2%
  7. 33-35"

9.1%
  1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I think a single 3/4 ply top will do it. It has no issues on my 200g tank.

As far as carrying the load, yes, it still goes to the 2x4 or whatever supports, but without a solid top, it will probably collapse. Nobody on all the places I researched to make a woody attempted it without a soild piece for the whole top of the stand. Some of these guys are serious engineers, so I had no reason to test it otherwise.

A sheet of 3/4" flooring grade plywood was like 20 dollars. Well worth it IMHO.

2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Already added.

This is one of those projects where every moment spent designing it properly pays or itself ten fold long term.

M

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

It sure is.

I researched for over a month before I started my project.

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I am actually planning roughly 6 months to design and 6 months to build.... with my work schedule, it'll take that long....

M

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

That sounds like a good plan then:)

I literally had nothing else to do, so 1 month of solid research, and a couple months of pretty solid work is what mine took to complete.

7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Yeah... I think your numbers are about right on research and time to build. I just have to spread that "required" time over my "available" time. My NASA work right now is absolutely crazy responding to the President's budget proposal. Congressional Hearings start later this week. That will add to make it even crazier. Regretfully, this debate will drag on for months. In the mean, researching and learning is a good stress reliever. If I can't design rockets and spaceships, I can design cool reef tanks.

M

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

If you need help at NASA, let me know. The only reason I built my woody is due to unemployment. I was hoping to be employed by now, but that isn't such an easy thing apparently despite my qualifications.

10. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Wish I could help you, but NASA is facing thousands of layoffs right now... :cry:

11. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Design Progress and questions...

My current working Display tank size is 84" Length, 28" Side, 28" Depth which nets 285 gallons.

For that, I am planning a 37 gallon Refugium, 20.5" Length, 20" Side, 21" Water Depth.

Sump for Skimmer and Pumps, 20.5" Length, 20" Side, 9" Water Depth which adds 16 gallons.

I calculated 280 lbs sand for a 3" Sand Depth in the Display and 100 lbs for a 6" DSB in the refugium.

I also estimated 450 lbs Live Rock in the Display and 20 lbs in the refugium.

Total Volume 338 gallons. Net Volume 290 gallons.

My refugium and sump sizes are dictated by the stand frame design. The estimated total weight of the Display Tank is 2800 lbs.

See frame and sump picture here

Now to the questions:

1) Frame has 3 rows of double 2x4's across the length. These are each supported by 4, 4x4 posts. Maximum span length is 22". Stand will have a 3/4" plywood top then 3/4" plywood bottom of tank. Does that sound more than strong enough???

2) Live Rock and Sand estimates. Do they sound about right???

3) Skimmer. I currently have a Reef Octopus XP-2000. It is rated for 200 gallons. I am at 290 total volume. Do I need a new skimmer? If so, which one? I am not buying it now, if I need one, but I do need to plan for the footprint.

4) The third empty bay in the frame is for my ATO, two-part dosing, GFO/Carbon Reactor. Is there anything else I need to allocate space for???

Finally... my plan is to build the stand first. Including building the sump/refugium sections as plywood tanks. That way I can practice on those two smaller tanks first to work out any kinks and gain experience before moving on the the display tank.

Thanks
    Mark

12. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

bump... any thoughts on the last post?