MMcDonald 285 gallon Plywood Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by NASAGeek, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Maximum Water Depth (Surface to Sand)

1. 15-17"

1.8%
  2. 18-20"

5.5%
  3. 21-23"

7.3%
  4. 24-26"

32.7%
  5. 27-29"

25.5%
  6. 30-32"

18.2%
  7. 33-35"

9.1%
  1. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

One thing that is missing is the pump and manifold for closed loop circulation. I know I'll get a few feet of head loss by putting it under the stand, but where else would I put it??

M

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Are you certain you want to do a closed loop?

There are pluses and minuses to that as well, just to make sure you think that over as well;)

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I am doing my flow reading now.... I know I don't like the look of Koralias in the tank... and I really don't like the look of power cords in the tank. Honestly, I would want to see nothing man-made in the tank at all. In my current tank I built a "rock wall" to hide my overflow.

I think I am fairly happy with the stand and sump design and outfitting, but I am sure it'll evolve as I work the tank and eventually hood. Next on my list is overflow and flow in general. Powerman gave me a bunch of reading, of I am off reading all of that now. That will be the next debate...

M

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

There is no head loss, just more piping loss. The "closed" means that the pump is taking a suction off the same tank it's discharge to. The water level is constant to the pump. Suction head equals discharge head, which equals Net head pressure of zero. The only losses you will incure are just longer runs of pipe. One elbow generally equals 1 foot of head, so you really need to minimize those.

Darn it.... who just did that.... slicker than snot.... Bama???

Here you go... look at Bama's closed loop. He did an awesome job.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/bamas-75-d-80676-2.html

Some folks put it on the back of the tank. move the tank away from the wall a bit for room.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Too funny.;D

I really hope I don't come off as argumentative. I like a lively debate, but I don't mean to be a jerk. It certainly isn't my intent to offend.

1 person likes this.
  7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Fantastic thread.

Mark I have seen some CAD on 3reef over the years, but yours takes the cake!

What is your reservation with existing ATOs again? I think I missed that.

Subscribed.

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Not at all.... I love the debate. Getting to hear all sides and opinions. You should hear us at NASA. I want to HEAR IT. Fight your case. Make a technical argument.

I can see both sides on the Ca Reactor. I really think it is six and one half dozen. In reef keeping there isn't a "right way"... there are opinions. That is why I like it. Room to think, not just following a cook book.

I really value the debate... so please don't shy away. I think in the end, this'll be a great thread for anyone trying to design a tank... I know we are capturing a lot of knowledge... and thanks for that!!!

M

10. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

The issue on ATO is volume. I have to fit everything I am going to do in a 84x28 foot print. Thus, it all needs to be either under the stand or in the hood. On a large tank, I am estimating 20+/- gallons per week of evaporation and I don't want to be refilling the ATO reservior every other day.

Therefore, I am considering a water supply line to my RO/DI and connecting that into my ATO reservior.

I think I can design it and program it to be safe such that I don't (a) Flood the house or (b) dump a bunch of fresh water in the tank and drop the salinity.

Folks are cautioning me of the dangers of "unlimited" supply. Reefsparky has a good design with solenoids and timers. I think I'll be able to make it safe and automated... after all, this ain't rocket science!!

M

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

is there a schematic for wiring up a solenoid and timers for such a setup?

and lol @ the "rocket science" comment mr nasa ;)

12. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

reefsparky does a pretty good description in his thread.... just search ATO and his thread comes up.

I am going to do schematics for the whole thing, not just the ATO. That'll be a while though. I have an idea on using timer controlled solenoids to vary and control flow in the tank as well. We shall see.

M