MMcDonald 285 gallon Plywood Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by NASAGeek, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Maximum Water Depth (Surface to Sand)

1. 15-17"

1.8%
  2. 18-20"

5.5%
  3. 21-23"

7.3%
  4. 24-26"

32.7%
  5. 27-29"

25.5%
  6. 30-32"

18.2%
  7. 33-35"

9.1%
  1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I am well aware that there is an optical sensor on the osmolator ( for the primary). Several folks in my local reef club have them. I just don't see why they should cost 200 dollars. The tunze name on them is my answer. The optical sensors do need replacement from time to time. They are about 50 dollars. Now float switches if they go out, are much cheaper. I got my reef fanatic for a trade for a coral or something, and it came with an extra switch that I still have yet to need.

I set my switches in the last chamber of my sump to be about 1/8" of an inch as well. I could set them closer, but there is no need to.

If I had a 2/3 part, I would need to adjust a lot since I have so many SPS and clams. Guys in my club that don't autodose with peristaltic pumps are always complaining about dosing, and adjusting their dosings.

Silent is a term of perception. There are a few bubbles, but my skimmer makes more noise than my return to my sump.

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

MM, regarding the sump and the possible reactor, you don't put it in the sump. It is an external component.

Notice how I have my reactor above the sump on the bracing? All that is in the sump is the feed pump, and I could run that off the return pump if I wanted.

magnesium and alk are dosed with the calcium. A calcium reactor should really be called a calcium and alk reactor, but it's easier to call them a calcium reactor. Magnesium is dosed in the media provided you use certain types of media. The large ARM I use for media has enough magnesium in it to not have to do anything else.

Yes, you would need a regulator, for that stick with reef fanatic regulator or the aquarium plants one. All the other ones are cheap junk that fail easily, even the tunze regulator.

If you are going to run a reef controller, you can use that to run the calcium reactor's ph probe.

4. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I think about this commercial everytime i see this thread.
    YouTube - RBS - Heimlich Maneuver
    When are you actually going to start building this thing?:builder2::hammer:
    all joking aside it sounds like it is going to be a great tank!

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Probably summer time before I start building at the soonest. I am going to design the whole thing out first... everything. Stand, sump, aquarium, hood, components, wire routing, plumbing, flow, everything... Design it all first and ask a million questions along the way.

I am not really in any great rush. I am having fun with my 55 gal. I am enjoying learning through this design process. Interesting debates and opinions.... all intended to help. Designing it is a GREAT learning experience. I have learned tons so far... but really learned that I have a lot more to learn.

My son wants me to start this summer though so he can help with the build. Odds are that opinion will win out... I love working projects with him.

M

1 person likes this.
  6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Trust me, I'm a big fan of gear....sounds real nice to buy a nice shinny reactor with cool solenoids and tanks.... however...just don't see the superiority of one method over another. Plenty of big SPS tanks running 2 part. Comparing hand dosing to reactors is an apples and oranges argument. Both of us can trot out plenty of examples of those that had a real hard time with reactors or 2 part. Both methods have there pros and cons.

If I thought one was clearly superior to the other I would do it. However, I dose 2 part because thats just what I have and its easy as heck. I have read both sides claim that when they switched to the other their tank just exploded with growth and color. Gotta love being a part of such a subjective hobby. Yet I've never read any meaningful study done to prove the superiority of either for a reef tank. After that it's just comes down to a purchase.

Silence is a pretty defined term. My overflow is silent.

1 person likes this.
  7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Powerman, perception alters reality. ;)

Since my skimmer is louder than my overflows return to the sump (nearly silent), it's a moot point.

Usually those that say that they they do better with dosing vs a reactor never got the reactor dialed in.

I like tech, but only if the gadgets make a meaningful difference.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Interesting debate. Back to my build question. I will reserve volume external to the sump should I decide later that I want a Ca Reactor. For now, I will stay with three-part dosing Ca/Mg/Alk but I want to retain the ability to switch later to a Ca reactor.

1) How much volume must I reserve for reactor, CO2 tank, and other? Horkn, could you just give me dimensions of your and a list??

2) With a Ca Reactor, I still have to dose Mg and Alk correct??

3) Is there anything else that I should reserve space for or add to under the stand?? I need to add my controller still and decide where I am running all the electric, power strips, etc.

Thanks guys,... this is a great way to learn. Appreciate your help.

Mark

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You should have the room. You can check out reactors...use your return pump, or a separate small one. And as big of a CO2 tank that you can fit. Even strap it to the top of the stand. My point is it should be no more room than the two one gallon jugs you will have in there for 2 part. The Geo 618 is a real popular one...it's 10x9 at 24" tall.

We both may decide to run a reactor later, should not be too much of a problem with room.

I know you want to maximize everything and get as big of sump and fuge as you can. Does not seem oversized..... just remember, with a stand space is always a problem. Even with the room for everything.....access and maintenance can be a pain. If I have to, I will build my next stand, but it will be big enough to not be a pain. Tall,(limits to that) and probably oversized for the tank (you can oversize it).

However, after having my tank next to a closet and using that for an equipment room... I'm seriously spoiled. I can't imagine ever having a tank where I can't make some sort of equipment room. Even in the basement. Heck I can already imagine filling a 10x10 with frag tanks water reservoirs, quarantine, big planted fuge lagoon tank, big ole' calcium reactor with a 100 lb bottle;D......ect

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I run the GEO 618 reactor. It's good to 300-350g's, but even a smaller reactor rating for a bigger tank is OK. If you go that route with a smaller reactor, it will simply need to be refilled with media more often. A 5 lb cylinder is pretty small really, and the regulator fits right on top. I will get dimensions for you. I would be shocked if the reactor didn't take up less room than a 3 part dosing system. I get more than 6 months out of my media and 5 lb tank of CO2.

Also, alkalinity and magnesium are covered by the media, so a calcium reactor is actually an alk and mag reactor as well.

12. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Updated Frame Sump Design Pics

Added RO/DI Unit
    Added Calcium Reactor and CO2 Tank to verify it would fit if I go that far later.
    Added Controller
    Added Shelf and Brackets to support ATO Reservior

I don't have my 3-part dosing pumps in there but they'll be back with the jugs where the CO2 tank currently is, so that won't be a problem.

Is there anything else I would want under the tank????

What do you think of the layout?

I think this piece is pretty close to done.

M