MMcDonald 285 gallon Plywood Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by NASAGeek, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Maximum Water Depth (Surface to Sand)

1. 15-17"

1.8%
  2. 18-20"

5.5%
  3. 21-23"

7.3%
  4. 24-26"

32.7%
  5. 27-29"

25.5%
  6. 30-32"

18.2%
  7. 33-35"

9.1%
  1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

As for the calcium reactor, in a tank that size, you will be glad you have one. Plus, you don't need a really large tank. You can use a paintball sized tank (20-40oz) tank, you will just need to refill it more frequently.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I realize this is a common practice, but never understood the point. In a tank with 200 lbs of LR, what good is 2 pounds of rubble going to do in the sump besides catch all the detritus from the overflow and require periodic cleaning? I like a nice clean sump where Detritus stays in the water column and gets caught by the skimmer. Easy to suck any out that settles out.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Under the skimmer stand would be an even better place to collect poop.

Did you ever look into the Bean overflow or the Herbie? Just asking cause there is no need for bubble boxes with those. Save a bit more space.

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Hadn't read all that yet since I was working on the sump design primarily in the last week... didn't know that solved that problem also. Saving space is a good thing.... First on the reading list is flow in general, then overflow.

Now, I am wondering about Calcium reactors.... I guess my biggest issue is that I don't understand the chemistry of how they work and I am not thrilled about being dependent on a pH sensor. Sensors fail.

More reading....

I like this because it is challenging... thanks for the help everyone.

M

6. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Also New Updated Sump Design Pictures

Added pH sensor and Temp Sensor on the Bubble Box in the skimmer compartment.
    Added two heaters in the Pump Compartment.
    Added Float Valve in the Pump Compartment.

I need to read more on ATO design. I was flowing what ReefSparky had done. I liked that design. I'll go read some more.

Calcium reactors.... uggghhh... more reading. I already went through that reading and concluded 3-part dosing. Mostly because I didn't understand it completely. Maybe re-reading it will help.

M

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

The quick and dirty is that the Bean and Herbie is completely silent, completely bubbleless, and completely safe.

The quick and dirty on reactors is you use coral skeleton media. the thinking is it contains everything another skeleton will use. You pump in co2 to make carbonic acid to dissolve the media. You put that in your tank. It isn't that I don't like them, just don't see what the big deal is to switch from 2 part.

Reactor media is cheaper over time than 2 part, but you still have to maintain it, do the initial investment, get CO2, tune it to act right. Then you can adjust Ca and Alk independently. But a ton of folks use them with great success... to me it is just 6 or half dozen of the other. It takes me 15 minutes to make a batch every three months and I can put my levels wher eI want them.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Tunze Osmolator.

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

If you don't mind paying 200 dollars for an osmolator that does the same thing a 100 dollar Reef fanatic or autotopoff.com one does, by all means, go for it.

The difference between 2(3) part and a calcium reactor is that the reactor automatically keeps everything in check where you want it, while the 2(3) part you need to constantly test and adjust.

The only thing you need to monitor is the media and CO2 pressure. Yes, when you need to refill a reactor, you should clean the pump, but other than that there is no maintenance.

2(3) part requires near constant adjustment/ testing to make sure the levels are where you want them.

I have not bothered with herbies or bean animals design for overflow because a durso or stockman is silent. Yeah, you might need a bubble trap, but that is an easy and cheap thing to make.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I only paid $100 for my Osmolator (used), and it does not control level with a float switch. It's a sensor and has never failed me. My level is regulated within 1/8" of an inch, auto pump shut off on empty reservoir with high level cut off. Having used one, I would have no problem paying $200 new.

I have not adjusted my dosing for about 5 months now. Test every two weeks for giggles. Rock solid at 9.6 and 430.

If it has bubbles, it isn't "silent". Mine is silent at the tank and at the sump. No splash, no salt creep. Just a little PVC.

12. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

One last update on the pictures for the night.

Same link as above. I added my GFO/Carbon reactor, the three part dosing jugs and an ATO reservior in the sump with frame version.

I still haven't decided on ATO yet.

Calcium reactor.... I barely ever adjust my dosing and everything is staying lock solid.... but I don't have a lot of experience or a heavy bioload.

Here is the REAL question on a calcium reactor.... do I build the sump bigger to accomodate it should I want to expand to that later?? If so, what water depth requirement?? Same as Skimmer?? Deeper?? I could expand the sump to the right, towards the jugs. Leave room for 3 jugs while I am still dosing. Add maybe a foot to the sump. That would leave a 12"x17" vacant footprint. My point is that accomodating room for it does not mean that I have to do it or not right away.... but if I don't accomodate room for it, I have no flexibility later.

So, 12x17 footprint in skimmer section?? How big a CO2 tank??.... whatelse?? regulator??

Also a question... you still dose Mag and Alk when running a Ca Reactor right??

M