MMcDonald 285 gallon Plywood Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by NASAGeek, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Maximum Water Depth (Surface to Sand)

1. 15-17"

1.8%
  2. 18-20"

5.5%
  3. 21-23"

7.3%
  4. 24-26"

32.7%
  5. 27-29"

25.5%
  6. 30-32"

18.2%
  7. 33-35"

9.1%
  1. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

10 gallons per inch in the DT. So, I can reverse syphon an inch in the DT and hold it in the sump. Maybe I'll do syphon breaks and a one-way flap valve of somekind for redundancy.

M

2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

By the way, why does drip versus switch "real" ATO make a difference on the ATO keeping up??

What I was worrying about was the volume of the reservior not being big enough. My 55 gal uses just under 1 gallon per day. The surface area of the 285 is much larger... roughly 3 times the surface area. Thus, I am estimating 3 times the evaporation. So, if I only want to refill my ATO reservior one a week, I need a 20+ gallon reservior.

It would be much better if I could directly plumb in my RO/DI and a water source, but that really isn't 'doable'.

M

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Way cool.... I was joking with my wife that I needed to knock a hole in the wall and create an Aquarium equipment room in our bedroom to make room for the ATO reservior... I WAS JOKING. As we joked around about it, she ended up agreeing to let me run a water supply line to the aquarium so I wouldn't need a reservior!!! Too cool!

I love my wife!.... but she does think I am crazy.... She just corrected me, she says that SHE KNOWS I AM CRAZY.

Mark

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I don't have personal experience.... but have heard of others have ATO problems. I will never directly hook up a RO/DI to my tank. If it goes wrong, not only will you have an overflow, but most things will die on the drop in salinity.

I do have to change my 7 gal jug on my tank every 3 days or so. However, even if my ATO does malfunction, My sump still has the space to hold the 7 gallons. Plus, 7 gallons of fresh in my 110g SW volume will not be the end of the world. Even in the future.... I still want the same type buffer... even with a RO/DI automated to fill a resivior and maybe a pump line to transfer to the ATO.

Now my ATO has a high level switch... and I do operate it periodically to see that it still works... but we all know mechanical devices fail... and usually you do not find that out until you need it. I know you have a mind for safety.... don't forget to engineer some in.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yeah, I am not a fan of the float switch ATO from the RO/DI filter. It's too risky IMHO.

I currently have a 12g tub that is my ATO reservoir and when filled about 10g, it lasts about 4-5 days in winter time here. That is the worst it gets as most folks use a humidifier in winter in WI. I just use the tank to add humidity to the house. I think your estimates sound good on paper for evap amounts, but in practice you should use a bit less.

As far as 2/3 part dosing on bigger tanks, you can do it. I know a few that do. But I also know that these few people have to constantly test their parameters and adjust dosing as the tank grows out. One of these guys has a 180 and has been thinking of getting a reactor to make it easy on him. granted he hand doses and does not use peristaltic dosers but he has to add so much 2/3 part per day to keep up with demand.

When you weight the up front costs, a doser (peristaltic type)is only slightly less expensive than a reactor, but once time goes on, the 2/3 part is far more expensive and much more work than a calcium reactor.

7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

But Calcium reactors require CO2 tanks right??.... I don't think I have room for that... it's all gotta go under the tank. I think I'll stick with 3-part dosing Ca/Alk/Mg until I am driven away by demand or something.

For the ATO, I do some thinking. I definitely don't want to have to refilling the ATO constantly. Once a week is hard enough. I should be able to design in some features to prevent the possible issues. Solenoid valves on timers, etc.

More to come.

Mark

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yes, a calcium reactor does need a C)2 tank, but if you get a reactor that is very efficient with it's use of CO2, you won't need anything bigger than the 5lb tank I have. It is shorter than the 75g sump I have. See it on the left of my sump?

You can definitely engineer in some safety checks like solenoid valves run by timers, but I would try to find non metal (plastic) solenoids for the water line, even if it is the fresh top off water.

10. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Updated Sump Design

Added Bubble Boxes in refugium and skimmer side.
    Added drain plumbing. Two drain lines from tank, interconnected, valves to control flow to refugium/skimmer.

Question... under the skimmer stand... just water?? thrown some LR rubble???

Next step is to add pH and Temp Sensors and heaters and then start routing wires.

M

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

LR rubble or bigger pieces of LR are a benefit to the tank, so yeah, put some in there.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Totally agree. I have my ATO hooked to a 5 gallon bucket. I would never have it hooked directly to an unlimited supply of water.