MMcDonald 285 gallon Plywood Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by NASAGeek, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Maximum Water Depth (Surface to Sand)

1. 15-17"

1.8%
  2. 18-20"

5.5%
  3. 21-23"

7.3%
  4. 24-26"

32.7%
  5. 27-29"

25.5%
  6. 30-32"

18.2%
  7. 33-35"

9.1%
  1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thats pretty awesome leaving space to remove the skimmer, but have you calculated enough freeboard when the return pump is off. Looks great.

Doh... sorry to repeat what horkn already said.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I do that all time too;)

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I have raised the skimmer front wall slightly. Picture is revised as well. Slightly over 11 gallons of 'backflow' volume available. With syphon breaks, I would think that would be fine.

Good catch... I only had 4 gallons before raising it.

Mark

1 person likes this.
  5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

The opening for skimmer access is 13.25 tall and 22.5 wide. It will be fine for skimmate cup removal; getting the whole skimmer out depends on the exact dimensions of the skimmer without the cup and the angles I can turn. It'll be tight but I can adjust that during build.

M

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

MM you truly are thinking every detail out to the tee. Shall be a great tank.

1 person likes this.
  7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Thanks. It is a lot less expensive and a lot less frustrating to mess up virtually in the design than to screw up in real life after building it. I figure the time I am spending is well worth it. Besides, I AM a NASA Geek after all.... I am having having just playing with the CAD software.... easily amused I guess.

M

8. Click Here!

9. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Started adding my two part dosing and ATO to the sump area. Pictures from a few posts ago are updated. 3 jugs at the bottom are Ca/Mg/Alk. Blue jug up top is ATO. I'll add the dosing pump, float switch, plumbing etc. as I go.

That's it for this weekend. Have to do taxes tomorrow.... 5 sets of them.... uggghhhh,

See ya,
    Mark

10. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

That ATO works fine for my 55gal, but it ain't gonna cut it on a 285.... hmmmmm.....

Only other place to put it is in the hutch above the tank..... don't like that idea..... hmmmmm.....

I wish I could get plumbing to the tank.....

I'll have to think about that....

M

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

NP Mark:)

In regard to the ATO, is it a drip type top off unit, or a switch type "real" ATO? If it is a switch type one, you won't have any issues keeping up with evap.

Also, you might want to reconsider the 3 part dosing, and get a calcium reactor. On a tank of that size if you do SPS and clams, dosing 3 part will drive you batty. If you are using the 3 part on your current tank, it will suffice for a while on the big tank, but you will see the demand go through the roof. My GEO calcium reactor is probably the second best bought item I have on my tank, 1st is an RO/DI.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Plenty of large SPS tanks run 2 part. Not saying a Ca reactor is not any good, but 2 part is not limited to small tanks.

Also, if you are getting a liter meter dosing unit, you can dose Mg.... but there really is no need. Dosing Mg at the end of the Ca/Alk jug is fine. Frees up one space for an extra jug.

Also, you just need to calculate how much your display tank holds per inch. 11g seems kind os a small amount for a large tank. The returns will have to be at the top of the tank. My returns have a siphon break, but they are not fail proof. My return nozzles only stick in my tank 2", so even if the vacuum break does not work (gets plugged) I still have plenty of room. Just something to double check.

When ditrius settles in my skimmer I just swish it around to clean it. I don't really take my skimmer out for any reason. Just as long as you can do pump maintenance. Also, while you would not want to do it on a regular basis.... the ability to remove your sump is pretty important. Either from front or slide out the side. Just in case of leak or some wierd circumstance. When I put my sump in the closet, I had to sawsall my W/D out of my stand.