mixing salt?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by wesley p, Aug 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Idk, I know of only one salt that is designed to mix to 1.026...aquavitro salinity and that stuff is expensive.

I got my refractometer from BRS. I dont think it matter so much, but this is as cheap as any when I bought it.

and no problem.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I think most of us are mixing more then five gallons at a time which is why you are having a hard time getting your question answered but as a previous poster stated it is not really that hard to determine which is why I couldn't understand your question or your problem.Start with 2 1/2cups and test.If its too low add another 1/8 of a cup at a time until you reach the desired number.After you mix it once you will have the answer to your question.Wow is right.LOL ::)
    P.S. I and others here take the time to help and don't deserve the attitude.
    Heres a quote from your other thread maybe I read them wrong.

When mixing the io rc salt how much salt does it take to get 1.025 for 5 gallons of ro/di water? I have a hydrometer and just want to make sure its correct. I read a forum that said 3 cups for 5 gallons. I did that and my hydrometer said 1.028.

heated the water to 78 like my dt then checked it. I got 1.028 with three cups of salt with 5 gallons ro/di water but I need to make sure the hydrometer is off.Im looking to get 1.025.

No i am not trying to calibrate my hydrometer with this method vinnyboombatz. That would not be very smart.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

+1. But on a side note, it may be something like 3.26578 cups and not many people know the exact amount. I don't use RC, but have a large container I use to measure my salt. Dunno f
    How much it is tho. Perhaps a weighed measurement is what you are after, either way you will still need to test and potentially adjust.

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

+1 for the BRS refractometer, purchased one to upgrade my swingarm and I love the thing no problems. On a sidenote though my swing arm is within .005 of my refractometer!! But I did clean it with vinegar constantly

6. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

Agreed. If the OP wants a specific amount, it's just a question of bringing his 5 gallon batch to 1.021 with 2.5 cups of salt and then maybe adding a 1/2 or 1/4 cup at a time until he hits 1.026. Memorize the result, and repeat.

Difficulty in measurement is probably why Reef Crystals uses 1.021 as their standard. It's very easy to remember a 1/2 cup per gallon. There's so much variation in people's preferred SG that this is probably the best approach. We can all get to 1.021 easily, and then add salt to adjust upwards from there.

I'm not sure if the OP is new to the hobby or not, but after you mix salt week in and week out for months on end, you get pretty good at getting on target without specific measurements.

7. wesley p

wesley p Flamingo Tongue

Sorry for the attitude vinnyboombatz. I have posted about this salt for days trying to figure my parameters out, what brand, etc. I dont know whats going on just fustrated i guess but after reading my own quote i do sound like a crazy person!
    lol

Thanks again for the help

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It can be frustrating.Go slow, ask lots of questions, we are here to help you succeed. I like helping people enjoy a hobby I have been doing since I was a Tater Tot.(Cheryl just reminded me that I went from Tater tot to Coach Potato shes so nice to me lol)No hard feelings.;)

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

wesley, This hobby can seem overwhelming at times, especially when new, just always remember to slow down, read and take deep breaths. You'll figure it out!

i think the directions state 1.021 because thats fine for FOWLR tanks. However, this forum has more peeps with corals on it than not, so we have to adjust that up. Then you have the SPS geeks on here;) that have to adjust that even further to create the levels they want. So there is no easy answer. What I would say is add less than you think you need, then adjust it accordingly every few hours while using a heater and powerhead to mix, then, when where you want it, wait 12 hours and test again.

And BRS, MD etc all have good refractometers.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

+1 I do 1/2 cup per gallon of I/O, see where it is at (usually around 1.021 - 1.022) and add from there to get to 1.025. You may already know this, but the salinity will increase as it mixes. If you test right after adding the salt, it will be lower than testing after 24 hours.

12. wesley p

wesley p Flamingo Tongue

Thanks again. I just ordered my refractometer.