Mixing Salt??

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Arman2K, Aug 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

No the sand is not live sand, but the rock will be live rock? Will it kill all the bacteria on the live rock too?

2. Click Here!

3. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

I would never dare to mix salt in a tank that has sand in it........the salt will sink to the bottom and mix in with the sand and then slowley your salinity will waver

Mix your RO/DI in a large NEW trash can, then add the sand to the bottom of the tank.....if your having live rock I suggest you place your bottom rocks on the bare bottom then add the sand that way the rocks will not shift as the sand settles

Then take a bowl and place in the bottom of the tank or resting on your rocks and pour the water onto that so it does not mix up your sand; if you use a plastic bowl it will float as the water level comes up and your sand will stay pretty untouched this way

I would also place your powerhaeds where you want them before adding water...makes it easier

Save yourself some headaches and test your RO/DI for Phosphates first

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes. If it were my tank I would add the water first,(don't fill it all the way up as your rock and sand will displace some water) then salt, Then Live rock, then sand.

5. Arman2K

Seem like I will be safer with a trashcan method. How can I test my rodi water phrosphates?

6. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

Buy a test kit at your local fish store

7. Arman2K

Thank you

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I agree that water and salt should be mixed first before adding any sand or live rock... you will get the best results this way...

Also, Get a TDS meter for your RODI water, no need for a phosphate test kit here, IMO. The TDS should read Zero on the output. If zero, then no phosphates, or any other organics for that matter.

10. Arman2K

where can I get this TDS meter?

11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I've wondered.......I live 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, Why can't I go there and fill my 5 gallon buckets with fresh Salt water, and bring it home. People have posted that it has parasites in it, but aren't most of the fish at the LFS caught in the wild? And, if parasites can be an issue....why can't I just boil the water for 30 minutes to "Sterilize" all the viruses and germies out and leave just salt water......