Mixing Salt??

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Arman2K, Aug 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

I am almost to the point of adding water to my tank. So I want to ask around how everyone do it? Add water to tank 1st than adding salt?

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I mixed the water and salt in a bucket, tested it to make sure it was the correct salinity and then added it.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

for 1st set up in new tank of a reasonable size
    I would add the RODI to the tank, then slowly pour in salt mix, and use power heads/ wavemakers to help me mix it

with a nano set up, I would probably mix the salt in a bucket and then pour in to tank
    but the aquarium itself seems a very handy/ convenient container for mixing 50 gallons or more of saltwater for the initial set up on bigger sized tanks

Steve

5. Arman2K

Is ok that I add sand too?

6. bebanovich

bebanovich Plankton

I used to have (and will again soon since I'm returning to the hobby) a plastic trashcan that I drilled near the bottom to insert a bulkhead with a little plastic valve - the kind you would use to turn on a garden hose. I put the can up on cinder blocks - just high enough to fit a 5-gallon bucket under the faucet - threw in a little powerhead and heater and premixed a couple of batches for water changes. Sometimes it needed a topping-off but, for the most part, the water was the right salinity and temp whenever I needed it so I could just open the valve and fill a bucket.

7. Arman2K

that a great idea for a WC.. i will keep that in mind. thanks

8. Click Here!

9. Arman2K

Sorry if I did t get it clear, I will be adding water/salt/sand to a 120g tank. There is nothing in the tank ATM.

Here is what I plan to do, 1st add sand, 2nd add rodi water, than salt? If I used a powerhead, will it stir up the sand and make it cloudy? What you guy recommended for me to do?

10. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

If there is nothing else in the tank, I would add sand, ro/di water, then slowly mix the salt in allowing the pumps/powerheads to mix the salt. Add the salt too quickly and you might get some that will hit the bottom and not mix.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If this is live sand adding the rodi water first will kill all the bacteria. When using live sand add rodi first then get your salinity in line then add the sand.;)

12. Arman2K

First thank you, so I would add salt slowly each day to get it to 1.025 sal.? In example, I add 2-3 cup a day? Until is at 1.025 salt.