Mixing plankton in flake food and best food for fishes for its full length life..

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by nanomania, Sep 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Hey guys, iv been into this hobby since long time, i have a bottle of seaplankton that has Nannochloropsis, Tetraselllmis, Tahitian Isochrysis, Pavlova, Thalassiosira weissflogii, Brachionus plicatilis & Rotifers & aminos. can i mix them to my cyclopeeze flakes and feed them? also would like to know about freeze dried krill and mysis. iv been keeping cheaper fishes but now moving to expensive ones. And i hate when my fishes die soon before their full life span. what other food you suggest.... currently i just have cyclopeeze flakes and Aquapharm - sea plankton and nori....
    The fishes im planning are:
    Maroon clown, Dwarf lion, bicolour dottyback, skunk cleaner, lawnmower blenny & bangai cardinal. I like when my fishes are happy and enjoy a full lifespan in my tank.

These fishes might be cheap in your countries but in my country they are pretty expensive. the cheapest are damsels, chromis, ocellaris and seabae clown...

2. Click Here!

3. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Following this im interested to

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

My friend in Egypt goes to the market and makes his own frozen with raw seafood meats such as squid, scallops. You can add cyclops and flake as well. Even some veggie such as ground carrots and greens is good as well.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

As a side note, I am 99% sure the dwarf lion would make a meal out of the cleaner shrimp, unless you were planning separate tanks. The dottyback may fit in that same category...

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

You're on the right track in terms of researching a varied diet for your fish, however, none of the foods you have listed will sustain a dwarf lionfish. They require meaty foods such as SW fish flesh, shrimp, scallops, etc, and will need to be weaned off of live food if not already eating prepared foods. Lions should be fed about 3x a week until they have a slight "belly bulge". They will indeed overeat, so feed it about 4-6 apprpriately-sized (about the size of the fish's eyeball) food items per feeding. We also use supplemental vitamins every so often.

The cleaner shrimp is a 50-50 chance with a lionfish. It may recognize it as a cleaner, or it may see it as lunch. It may also eat the dottyback, blenny, and cardinal, depending on the size differential between them and the lionfish.

Maroon clowns get large (figure 6" for a female) and tend to get pretty mean, so hopefully, your tank is a large one as it will likely claim most of the tank as its territory.

Back to the lionfish, which are a passion or ours. Give these articles a read:

Lions, and Turkeys, and Devils, Oh My! Lionfish in the Home Aquarium

Tools of the Trade: Equipment & Techniques to Convert your Fish onto Frozen

Renee is currently working on a pretty extensive fish nutrition article that should be really good and geeky, as we feel that one of the key factors in keeping fish healthy is NUTRITION.

7. nanomania

Hey guys, im not gona keep shrimps with lion..... yup but dint know about dottyback. i have 2 tanks, 1 will have all the non agressive fish species and 1 will have a dwarf lion. can i add dotty with lion? will the lion eat it? and what food should i buy? i know lion eats meaty stuff, i have some freez dried shrimps that i feed my turtle on weekends. can i just crush it in some plankton and some vitamin supplement, then i stick it to a rigid tubing then mimic its live and feed lion same with the freez dried krill? can i also buy some mollies, feed them (gutload) cyclopeeze till their belly gets full, then feed them to lion?

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

well i have a 25g tank, can i keep a GBTA with a pair of maroon clown with 1 fuzzy dwarf lion and 1 dotty?

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Sorry, but no. Again, the lionfish is a predator; anything that fits in his mouth is a potential snack. Furthermore, the fuzzy dwarf requires a 50g+ tank.

As for your original question about adding plankton to your fish food, that would only benefit planktivores, and I didn't see any on your wish list. However, your corals would love a periodic feeding of plankton.

11. nanomania

but iv read that clowns do eat plankton so i thought it would be good. any good supplements to soak food in? also what fish can be kept with a dwarf lion? iv seen many tanks keeping dwarf lion in a 25-30g tanks for years..... or can i keep anglers with dwarf lion?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  12. nanomania