Mixed water.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by arthur, Nov 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Its been 8 years since I started reefing so that question my seams silly. I have 125 mixed reef tank. Every 2 weeks I change around 20-25 gal. of water. For that I have 55 gal. tank. So after filing it up I have enough water for 2 water changes. I recently read a lot that it is not good to leave mixed saltwater stagnate. I mean without power head or some sort of water movement. When I do first change remaining 20-25 gal. stays in tank for at least another 2 weeks. I don't see any bad effects on my reef. What do you guys think? Is it ok or i should throw power had there? What is your experience? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A container with flow and O2 is likely to have a higher pH vs a container with no flow.

You're doing a 25 gallon change in 125 gallons, the dilution factor in not significant, replacement water vs existing water.

The corals and fish are doing fine so I would not change a thing unless you really want to.

Jm2C

mdbostwick and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Gas exchange does still occur without flow, just not as rapidly. However, without any life forms using O2 and producing CO2, gas exchange is a moot point.