Mixed Reef SPS and LPS suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by APC, Dec 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Well, as many of you know, I travel a lot for work. I am however home for 20 consecutive days around christmas, so this is the time of year each year that I like to add to my reef so that I can monitor acclimation, etc. I have a soft coral heavy system, but I would like to add some easy to care for SPS corals and LPS corals. I need species that are easy to fine, easy to care for and not too aggressive. Any suggestions? From my sig line you can see my tank specifics - I have plenty of light and plenty of flow for just about anything. My stocking list is low from a livestock perspective (again because of the travel) and my water parameters are pretty rock solid - Alk is 8.0, Ca is 450, Mg is 1400, salinity is 1.024, Temp is constant but over the course of 12 months ranges from 75-78 (ie..a little cooler in the winter and a little warmer in the summer but always within this range and never a rapid change). Nitrates and Phosphates are near zero - not discernable on a test kit). I also run carbon continuously (In my sump, not a reactor, about 1 lb of spherical carbon changed out every 60 days or so). Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I would start with some easier LPS. The ones that come to mind right away would be Duncans & Candy Cane/Trumpet. If that goes well, then you could try a couple easier SPS. I am thinking Birdsnest would be a good starter.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

You may need more flow depending on the placement of the MP40s and your SPS corals. I have 3 MP40s in a 230 and thinking about getting another or an MP60. (but I am moslty planning SPS)
    You have 24X ..Opinions vary but I think most SPS keepers agree at least 40-50X tank volume and many say 100X is good. (but that's probably for mature tank packed with colonies) Keeping a mixed reef is trickier than all SPS or mostly LPS for finding good lower flow spots for the LPS while having enough to keep SPS happy and thriving.

Seems my easiest SPS is my ORA green birdnest. Candycane, frogspawn , wellso brains, fungia come to mind when I think of easy LPS.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Okay cool thanks. I do have two returns from my sump as well - which gives me about another 1500 gph in flow...but still below the higher number you are suggeting. I am definately looking for low maintenance if possible.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think torch corals are cool and seem to be hardy. I also like bubble corals as well. Frogspawn and hammers also seem to be colorful and pretty hardy.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

While I agree with you, I think that Euphyllia corals (Torch, Hammer & Frogspawn) are a bit more finicky than those I mentioned. I would not start out with them, but after a month or two of housing other easier LPS successfully, I would say go ahead and add one.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Birdsnest are easier SPS but do not handle temp variations well at all!! Lost 4 seperate types due to summer heat waves this past year while the stylophora seems to be more hardy than many of the lps!

10. Poseidon27

Poseidon27 Flamingo Tongue

I've actually always found it easier for me to grow SPS instead of LPS. Idk why but I've had better luck running a low nutrient tank, I agree tho that birdsnest is a really good starter SPS as well as a montipora.

I've wanting to get into LPS and try it again now that I have access to some more options but am also curious as to how to keep the water parameters to keep both types happy?

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think therein lies the trick - getting parameters to a point that both types can thrive. I know there are members on here that have accomplished and I truly applaud that because it's more of an art I think than just regular reefkeeping :)