Mixed Lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by LCP136, Jan 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Absolutely, if you have a canopy. They just make better sense. That's what they are designed for. I like them and they give you more room for reaching into your tank.

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

So, for growing SPS in a 90, could I get away with a 6 bulb fixture or would I need the 8 bulb. I was planning on keeping them all in the upper half of the reef.

4. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Try the 6 bulb if it's financially better and you can always add a 2 bulb or a Metal Halide if you need it later.

5. Trigger Man

Trigger Man Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The 6 bulb will work great in your tank (8 bulb may get you quicker growth). Like I mentioned before I've got the 4 bulb 4 footer in my 5 foot tank and it has grown everything with no problems. I recently added a 2 bulb 3 foot unit but that was because my lights were positioned more to the front then the back of the tank so I had room in the back to add some additional lighting.

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

There is an old adage that says you should try and have 4 watts to the gallon. Was that before T5's? I only know that I have 4 39W T5's in my 65 gal and it is fine. Like I said you can always add more later if you need to.

7. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I guess that was before t5s. I'm looking for a 6 bulb fixture for my tank. We'll see what happens.