Mixed Lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by LCP136, Jan 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

lcp136:
    adding 2-250w mh using your existing pc would work for all sps.
    Reef Exotics

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I'm not sure yet. I don't know if both would fit. What would you recommend? Would 6x 54 watt t5s be enough, or would it be wise to keep the PCs?

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I'm not sure if this is exactly what I'm looking for. Here's the link, can you guys check it out and see if its a good light?

48" 6x54w t5 light fixture

5. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Im not a master but make sure to talk him down ;)

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

You need to gain more information. First thing is you need exact measurements. You have to remember that you have to get into the coral area without any obstructions. These lights usually have legs that sit about 4" above the tank or they hang from the ceiling in tanks that have no canopy. Some canopy's can have the top taken off where you can hang a fixture inside. You only want to light up the tank not the room! Retrofits allow air circulation and are not encased. What type of canopy do you have? Get exact inside measurements. Do your homework because you don't want to buy something that doesn't work for you. Most retrofits are 47" - 47 1/4" long. This gives you some slack to work with. also notice there are 1" x 2" wood slats to hold the canopy on top of the tank. You may have to move them or cut them down to size. I had to do that with my 65 gal setup. You may want to get a fan in there. I put a 4" fan in mine because the metal halide cooks up heat and my canopy is fully enclosed. I have the fan come on when the MH comes on. Email any questions to [email protected] good luck.:)

7. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I have the exact measurements. Like I said I have a homemade canopy which is not normal. The measurements of the light are 47"x151/4". The inside of the canopy is 48 inches across and about 20 inches wide. The light fixture does not come with the legs. I think the current owner was using the fixture for plants, not an aquarium. I'm not sure if I want this fixture because the bracket for it is another $70. I'm not sure if there's a way to mount it without the legs.

8. Click Here!

9. Trigger Man

Trigger Man Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The unit will have eye hooks on the left and right end which allow for hanging the unit. Being that it is the Tek unit and has individual reflectors (the best way to go because the reflectors are what increases the output by over 300%). If the lights were used for plants that would be even better as there would be no salt creep on the reflectors. For bulb replacement it is said that hot5s last 20 to 24 months, but from my experience and talking to others that use them it is better to change the bulbs around the 18 month of using them.
    When looking to buy used always find out what condition the reflectors are in (any guck or salt should be cleaned off of them and the bulbs) and how old the bulbs are)

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

4 bulbs are brand new and 2 are about 2-3 months old. I may just get a fixture through an LFS that I have a good relationship with. I'm not sure though. How do you go about hanging a fixture.

11. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

This is a brand new retrofit that you can screw into the top of your canopy for less money with moonlights and 3 chords to set up a nice timer schedule and it's more compact and will be out of your way when husbandry duties call. IMO this is the way to go.
    Buildyouraquarium - 48'' 6X 54 T5 Retro Brand New w/ Bulbs Moon Aquarium
    I would contact them first to see if the specs are correct. My 8x54 with moonlights is 12 1/8" wide and came with a dimmer for the moons that I was pleasently surprised to see. You want to check on the switches as mine has 2 bulbs come on and then 6 more on the other switch. You want to have the blue actinics for the first group to symbolize dawn and dusk and then probably 3 whites and 1 more blue added for the second switch. good luck!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  12. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Do you guys recommend the retro brand?