Missing or dead or eaten cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reiple, Nov 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Help! Is my lysmata gone again?

I got two, then added two later. In the first two one died and I found it's dead body. In the second two, the same happened and I thought both were dead until the smaller emerged from the LR.

Now the two surviving are gone!?!?! Either they are hiding so well or they were eaten/dead?!?!?

frustrating....before it was a CBS killing them and at least I know/saw it done. At least a CBS is very hardy and cheap (lysmata cleaners here cost 4x a CBS).

:(

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

HEY! ME TOO!!!!!

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I got a pair of fire shrimp...lysmata debelius...what ever..I forget ;D

But now one is AWOL! Gone! Missing without a trace!!!! The other one is fine and very showy, he stays right in the front of the tank. But....the other is gone. I am suspecting my brittlestar? I do not really have any predators in my tank. Splended Pseudochromis, Chevron Tang, and the star. I have looked everywhere and can't find him or remains!

I feel your frustration reiple! $29 here....for a fire shrimp. Plus, I miss him! They are funny as anything to watch. I like watching them eat the best!!!!

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=birdlady link=board=ASAP;num=1101074960;start=0#2 date=11/21/04 at 15:14:13]
    I do not really have any predators in my tank.  Splended Pseudochromis, Chevron Tang, and the star. [/quote]
    Ah but you do BL....that pseudo is fully capable of taking down your shrimp :(

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Ah, yes the Psuedochromis and possibly a spike in Nitrites. Shrimp are very sensitive to Nitrites.

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

hey birdlady i looked to see what a Splendid Pseudochromis was and found this

Splendid Pseudochromis

it says "It will eat small ornamental shrimp"

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Thanks for the link Marc. A great example of why it is so important for all of ust to research the compatibility of critters before we put them in the tank.

I had a Brittle starfish munch two Carpenters Wrasses as they weere sleeping in the sand. Very expensive combination!

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, OK but, the shrimp was nearly the same size as the pseudo plus it was a cleaner shrimp....is that condidered an ornamental shrimp?  Poo.
    I was thinking the brittle star but.....anyone want a fish?  I really kind of like this fish tho....

0 Nitrites
    0 Nitrates
    ;)

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Reiple,

what other stuff do you have in your tank? with the missing shrimp?

12. Craig Manoukian

Peppermint, Cleaner, Pistol, and Coral Banded are all ornamental shrimp. Some fish just love 'em to death.