Resolved Missing Anemone Please Help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by LarryS, Nov 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Anemone gone missing!

Added 2 Anemone Clowns late Sunday. These the first 2 fish in a cycled tank already supporting a hammerhead (very happy!), cuc, including at least 5 small feather dusters.

Larger of the 2 clowns appeared ill but my untrained eye bought into the LFS story that he was simply stressed. The smaller clown seems okay...I think.

Yesterday, at another LFS, in trying to diagnose the problem with the not well clown, suggested that the clowns might have been wild captured. If so, than a host anemone might unstress the guy. I bought the anemone and, he disappeared...quickly...taking refuge in some unknown hiding place in the tank and has not been seen since!

That said, the clown was doing a death spiral this afternoon and so was removed.

Almost immediately, the new tomini tang (added last night) came out of hiding. He looks great and has a healthy appetite. The smaller clown is also eating (the dead one never did) and seems okay from what I can tell.

About the reason and urgency for this post: where's the Anemone? Is this behavior normal? Thought they needed light? Seems the tan knew he had a sick tankmate, does the Anemone...and is he telling me the little clown is also sick?

Or, is the Anemone behaving normal? Please help.

:confused:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

It's perfectly normal for a nem to crawl under a rock when introduced into unfamiliar conditions, such as stronger flow or lighting than what they're used to. May take a few days, but as long as water quality is maintained, it will acclimate itself to your tank and come out of hiding.

4. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Very reassuring.

Thank you!

5. KRem4

KRem4 Plankton

I had mine disappear on me once found it in the overflow that might be a spot to check also.
    good luck hope you find it

6. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Unless he's like that comic book character that can stretch himself thin (there's a cover on the overflow)...but I'll check. Nope. All good. Not in the overflow. ;D This is what I get for not researching the purchase beforehand....arrgh.

I'm hearing from too many nem owners that these guys are wily. Consider this fair warning for future nem caretakers! ::)

7. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

True, but check all your powerheads it might have gotten sucked up. At least That's what happened to mine :( good luck

8. Click Here!

9. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Ouch! That hurts. Sorry to hear that.

10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

hi larry,
    You may want to slow down and focus on improving your tank instead of keep adding new things. If a clown was stressed it was likely it was ich or brookynella, common clown diseases. Secondly you had a post in another thread stating you started this tank on October 4th. Which means your tank is about a month old. Having two clowns and a tang is considered rushing things a little. Especially adding a nem after a month. I could be wrong you may have two tanks going. Anemones need stable water conditions which is why its recomended your tank be around a year old before introducing an anemone. Theres debate on the actual amount of time before adding a nem, lots of people with a storng backgroung have done it alot sooner and had long success with it.

Best of luck with the nem.

11. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah coz they like to move around

12. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Hi. Thanks for jumping in here. If there's an issue with the tank, I want to get right on it ... and fast! So, please say with me here.

First, the good news. The nem appeared. Disocovered him at 5:30 AM today. See photo. :)

IMG-20111117-00343.jpg

That said, I've tried to be very deliberate in my decisions and also realize that a lot of what has transpired has not been posted....that makes it harder to get sound advice. My bad. I apologize.

Only one 65g dt w/20g sump/fuge. Yes, only cycling since 10/4. Goal was for a fowlr but the build and the decision points along the way were done in a way that would support a reef...possible exception would be lighting. Two T-5s.

Very briefly, received donations for seeding on 11/4 & 11/6 of: water, substrate (included at least 5 small feather dusters), macroalgae (have since also added ulva and chaeto), some live rock, a mini-frag of hammerhead coral, and small amount of cinnamon zoa.

Although those additions were made with nitrites very high (off the API and Hagen scales), within 3 days of adding MB7 nitrites down to 0 and still at 0.

Hammerhead coral and zoa doing very well. Seem very happy.

That all said, photo here shows clown within 1-2 hours of his 'death spiral'. The LFS believes it to have been bacterial but I have no faith in what they've communicated.

Sick Clown 2 336 upl.jpg

Here's also 2 videos showing his behavior within 2 hours of his death spiral:

Sick Clown 1 of 2 - YouTube

Clown Sick 2 of 2 - YouTube

Lastly, here is the survivor clown:

Survivor Clown 11.11.17 041.3gp - YouTube (Sorry about the background audio!)

Video of Tomini Tang and survivor clown:

Tomini Tang & Oscellaris Clownfish - YouTube

Lastly, photo of survivor clown. Seems to have a very healthy appetite and is getting braver about chasing after food (flakes and frozen shrimp, at this time).

IMG-20111116-00339 3reef.jpg

Hope that helps. Please ask whatever you need.