Minor Bleaching...

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by Bruce, Jan 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hello, wanted to know what might cause some minor bleaching "patches"...like 2 mm x 2mm...there r only 3 or 4 tiny spots but i wanna make sure nothing is wrong...o ya this is an acorpora...i bought it brown and its becoming neon green...i have 1 other neon green and brown...kinda becoming blue or purple and no bleaching...ive had it for well over 2-3 months...im going to be replacing my bulbs...little over 1 year old...would a lack of supplements cause this...if so what should i be testing more...iodine...etc? thanks alot! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Lack of some supplements might be it.
    Good calcium, alkalinity, magnesium would be my first level. Second level would be strontium, molybdenum and iodine.
    I test for all but strontium and molyb. which I just follow instructions for dosing when not testing. May get a test kit for those eventually.

I'd probably get new lights too.

Hope that helps.

matt

EDIT - Sometimes they will bleach regardless of supplements. RTN is a disease and water temperature and flow also come into play.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Are the areas bleached or missing tissue?

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

um...i believe bleached...but im not really sure...its how can i tell?...what is better...reg 6,700k actinics or there r new dual 6,700-7,100 50/50 actinics? would 2 peaks be better?

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

has it grown any.

I joes juiced my fav Cap and it had some die off but recovered in about 3 days

J

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=Bruce link=board=Coral;num=1105411433;start=0#3 date=01/11/05 at 18:04:34]um...i believe bleached...but im not really sure...its how can i tell?...what is better...reg 6,700k actinics or there r new dual 6,700-7,100 50/50 actinics? would 2 peaks be better?[/quote]
    Look at the "bleached" area. If you can still see tissue or polyps and they're just white, then the areas are probably bleached. If all you see is white skeleton, then the areas are probably dead. If the coral is otherwise healthy though, the rest of it should be fine.

Sorry, can't help you with the lighting question.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Bruce if I were you I would get 3 strips of 6500 and then one strip actinic. I've tried the 10000K PC and really didn't like them They appeared too Green. But you could try something between 6500K and 10000K.
    There is a guy up here that has an amazing SPS and LPS tank only running NOs , so I'm glad to see some one else that has SPS and not MH.
    Good luck and let us know how it's going

J

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmm well um i wound if i could i have one of those pc um...system which has a max of 4 bulbs...what would be best last time i used 2 10,000k daylights and 2 6700k actinics...also the reason i said it was hard to tell is because the white part is kinda around the polype...lol only 1 polyp is white but i think thats cuz it is near the bottom...its very odd...my others seem fine... :(

11. Jason McKenzie

Sorry bruce I meant one bulb (two strips) 6500 and one 50/50

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

___ ___ so like first is 6500 and the second is 50/50 actinic
    ___ ___ then 2 10k daylights?