mini update:blueberry gorg:PICS

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Va Reef, Jan 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Getting RO/DI at the lfs today and after the usual catching up and looking at all the corals, I see two blueberry gorgonian colonies (4" tall by 5" across) not doing too hot. So I asked for a little clip just to see how it fairs in my tank, I was expecting to get a little 1" piece with one or two polyps, but instead got a 2" by 2" piece with about 10 polyps.

I'm aware these are one of the harder corals called gorgonia to keep, that they typically require being fed CONSTANTLY throughout the day, and that they should honestly just be left in the ocean. I just figured it would be cool to try, since I didn't pay for it, I'm not creating a "demand," and it MIGHT have a better shot in my tank since I already feed my photosynthetic gorgs quite a bit.

Within a couple hours of being in my tank I see a small bit of PE so I decided to feed. Will keep everyone (those that are interested) updated to see how it goes.

PICS!:
    1. showing the whole frag
    2. my favorite polyp (lol)
    3. w/ flash to show all the polyps/flesh better
    4. my two photogenic polyps
    5. FTS because I can.

mini update- all the polyps open up now throughout the day, could be 1 of two things, starving or happy, the 99.99% chance it is the first of the two. Though, I visited the colonies at the LFS and their polyps are still closed and have died off even more. hmm. I guess they're dying a little more slowly in my tank.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, please keep us updated! Good luck!

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I got PE tonight while feeding my sun coral, just felt like sharing :)

5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Nikon D3100 Macro (I think) tomorrow, just for you. lol

7. Newreef15

Winning!!!!!! lol

nice score man cant wait to see some pics :)

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Fair warning, this coral is pretty beat up. after feeding I'm counting about 15 polyps, with 5 that show good feeding response. I think I might leave my skimmer off for a while tonight and really let them feed. Problem is, blueberry gorgs are extremely sensitive to phosphates, and with all that food sitting around not being skimmed, I'm a little worried.

Regardless, this is an extremely beautiful coral (even in current conditions) bright blue polyps with blue gray tissue, I can understand why these corals are so sought after.

I think I will be setting up a continuous feeding mechanism and a heavy duty skimmer for my next tank (45gal) so I can keep more NPS.

10. Newreef15

Are you just feeding phyto ?

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

So far, I've just been basting it with coral frenzy whenever I see PE, stirring up the detritus that settles (bare bottom tank) and they get the leftovers from this predator mix I feed to my sun coral once a day.

Been doing lots of research on them, seems they don't actually digest their food until the polyp recedes back into the skeleton. Simply having the polyp close around the food isn't enough.

I've seen some report the bigger colonies, with much bigger polyps, take cut up Mysis, however food that is ~50 microns large seems to be the best size.

The next big thing is flow. For best results, according to some Germans and Englishmen, (they seem to have the best results), the flow must be directed with the polyps instead of into the polyps, and that it should either be around 8-9cm a second, or 14-15cm a second. No one is really sure, but both seem to produce good results.

Really starting to understand why maybe 1 in 1000 of these corals live past 1 year in our tanks. It's looking grim for me.

Interesting side note, the reason the polyps glow so brilliantly blue is that there is a symbiotic relationship between a bacteria and the coral, kind of like the algae in photosynthetic corals, however obviously the bacteria doesn't require light like the algae.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, kudos to you in taking this on, sounds like a very delicate coral. I would love to see some pictures as well when you get a chance.