Mini anenomes? Yay or nay

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Zegermans13, Feb 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zegermans13

Zegermans13 Fire Worm

Lfs just got two Mini carpet anenomes in, I have a watchman goby, fire goby and two clowns, would they have problems with the nems? Or Any info on them at all would be great. Thanks :)

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Not usually a problem, but no guarantees with wild animals. The minis may be small, but can pack a punch.

4. Zegermans13

Zegermans13 Fire Worm

Enough to kill ? Or give em a "stay back" sting

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Could certainly be enough to kill, but most fish will avoid them. Really, this is true for most nems we keep...

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Is your tank suitable to house one? By asking about "any information" it lends itself to suggest that you may still have some research to do. Nems are awe-inspiringly beautiful but are among the most difficult to keep long term.

They can so easily ruin an entire tank both physically and chemically that a thorough understanding of them is required before one should attempt keep one.

That being said, if you have a larger, well-lit, established tank - then by all means you will be at least in better shape then most.

But if you have small, dark, young tank - IMHO - there are much more suitable, equally beautiful species that are far friendlier to aquiculture.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I love mini-maxi anemones, I say go for it. Personally mine never harmed a thing and if you are sticking with the mini-maxis you should be fine. Seems like to me only a sick fish would be potential for food, most healthy fish could get away.

But I am not sure about a mini-carpet? Is this just a small true carpet or a mini anemone.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

M-Ocean Man, remember an aptaisia is an anemone LOL. There are two morphs of mini-carpet anemones. People seem to be calling these mini-minis and maxi-minis. The mini-minis are very small, an inch or so. The maxis get about 4-6". They seem to be morphs of the same species though, not separate species. however, the small ones reproduce very quickly, the large ones do not seem to split often. Some people complain about mini-mini proliferation, probably a step below a tulip anemone as far as reproduction. Neither are particularly difficult, but do like intense lighting, more so than a BTA or LTA for example.

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

And to think back in the day, there were actually LFS that SOLD them!!!!!

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

No that far back in the day.... A couple years ago there was an online store selling manjos. At least they were colorful ones though :laughy:

12. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

For real?:eek: I have some GHA for sale if anyone wants to buy it;D. Great color and flows real nice!!;)