Minerals in a reef tank

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Zero_Dude, Sep 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Everywhere I've looked, most people say only to use standard base or live rock in your tank.. However, I have seen a few places online stating that minerals like quartz and amethyst are reef-safe, provided you remove the base of it (since that has iron in it). I was wondering if this is true. Thanks, 3reefers!

2. Click Here!

3. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I'm not sure about the effects of the mineral contents of the rock, and how they may or may not effect the water quality, but if your goal is to place these rocks in there for looks, then you might be disappointed once the Coraline algae takes over and covers those pretty rocks. ::)

At least in my tank, the coralline covers everything - the rocks, snails, hermit crab shells and the glass if I don't stay on top of it.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Adding crystals to saltwater creates free silicates in many cases that fuels certain nusience algae blooms.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 to both.

Land-mined rocks also lack the porosity of reef rocks, dramatically reducing their bio-filter capacity.

6. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I guess I won't be placing them in my tank! I wanted them in there for looks, if they wouldn't damage my system.. But I had forgotten that coralline would grow on it. So, two negatives.

Thanks for the replies!