Midas Blenny laying on the sand, breathing heavy

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Puffer Chick, May 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I've only had my midas blenny since saturday. He was active and always eating, this morning i noticed when i fed he did not come out to eat, he's always the first to get to the food.

I come home from work to feed he's not out swimming so i looked around he's laying against a rock on the sand breathing very heavily and just catching whatever food floats by but other wise he's not moving

i dont know whats going on with him, he got bullied a little bit, but it was just mainly pecking by the wrasse and chromis.

Ammonia, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 8.3, salanity 1.025, i have plenty of flow in the tank, so its not a lack of oxygen.

I dont know why all of a sudden he took a turn for the worse

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

4. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

how did you acclimate?

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Hes been doing great since saturday up until now, but I temp acclimated for 10 minutes, then every 5 minutes for half an hour I poured in some water, then released.

Im wondering if he came to me sick, and if that's the reason for his dull coloring

6. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

if he was already sick he probably would have never been swimming in the first place. I know my lawnmower blenny does do that from time to time. swims around all day but somtimes just perches on the rock in the same spot. If you put a net in the tank will he swim away?

7. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

That sounds like typical blenny behavior, especially if they've been bullied. If he's eating, then I'd just keep an eye out. He should be OK.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

He's normally really active and always swimming, I'll try the net idea when I get home from work

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

he didn't eat at all or even move when I fed, the only food he ate was if it floated right by his head.

He's normally very active and the first to eat

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so i just got hme from work, he was still laying in the same spot, i fed the fish and he actually got up to eat this time

he's back in the same spot now, he only got up for a quick second but that's it

12. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Its good that he actually got up to eat. Just keep your eye on him. My Bi-color when he was in my main DT he would chase and bother other fish and lay around breathing very heavy. They are definitely a short sprint swimmer.