Midas Blenny Discoloration?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by UnderTheSea, Mar 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. UnderTheSea

UnderTheSea Feather Duster

Hello everyone,
    I was recently at my LFS and saw a Midas Blenny. They are my favorite SW fish, so I wanted to pick him up (they also aren't very common where I live). However, it seemed to have discoloration (I believe somewhat of a brownish to him)? He wasn't all "gold and yellow" like most of the ones I see online. So, I just wanted to know if they are sometimes like this...or if the fish may be stressed?

Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

Yup, just stressed.

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

They also have the ability to camouflage themselves. My Yellowtail fang Blenny does it at lights out-ugly as hell :) but it works!!

5. UnderTheSea

Thanks guys. Do you think it would be safe to go ahead and buy the blenny?

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

How long has he been at the store? Is he eating? Any visible illness or parasites?

Could just be really stressed out. If everything looks ok, he's eating and has been at the store for a bit, I'd bring him home. They definitely get brown-ish when stressed.

7. UnderTheSea

I know he was in the quarantine tank about 2 weeks ago when I brought in my trigger for in store credit. My trigger is now on display as well as the Midas blenny. I'm guessing the blenny was brought in for in store credit by someone. I'll just have to see if he eats. I already know it's going to be a $40-$50 hit because he's a good size. So I do want to make sure everything is good. Thanks.