Microchiller

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 17, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

:eek: Ok. To me, this new chiller looks like an AquaClear filter with a computer fan on top of it! Am I wrong? Anyone seen this thing in action? Can this possibly work well??

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

It is a peltier cooler attached to a heatsink and a probe. An electrical current goes through it and makes one side very hot and the other side very cold thus the fan to cool down the hot side. I've heard that it is effective on smaller (<20 gallon) tanks and if you've ever seen a peltier I wouldn't doubt this claim. I've seeen the Unit w/o the filter for 80 dollars somewhere on the internet. Not too bad for a mini reef.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's pretty cool! Thanks for the great details 'anonymous.'
    ;)

I have a 6 gallon plant tank this chiller would be perfect for ... I think I need to take a close look at this thing in the store.

If anyone knows anyone that has one of these, please let me know how it has worked for them.

Sincerely,

Matt

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I own one, well just the Iceprobe (chiller). My buddys got one on a 20g, it can pull it down around 8 degrees. You can get the chiller from many online sources, customaquatics.com and champion lighting both stock them. They company is based in San Rafeal. The manufacture of Iceprobe is coming out with a really cute little controller for it, can't wait to sell it for sale. I saw it @ champions booth at MACNA last September, really really small!!!

6. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

I have one of those also on my 7g minibow. Mine is mounted the same way in an AquaClear 200. I also have the controller for it. The controller is pretty neat but it is a little cheezy for $50.

7. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Here is mine!

Attached Files:

• 7ice.jpg
      7ice.jpg
      File size:
      35.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool! How do you like it? Notice a difference?

10. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Well the tank used to be 78 now I cant get it above 72...at night it is 71 but then my heater kicks on and makes it 72. And that is with the chiller on the highest temp it will go! If I really turn the chiller on, I am sure it would cool it down to 65 or maybe more. I actually just turned my heater up to 74 so it runs constantly and my chiller runs constatly so there is no temp swings (as of yet!)

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's weird. Is it supposed to work like that?
    You would think you could set it at 80 and the heater at 74 and have the tank live somewhere in between.

12. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

No, there is no guage it is a plus or minus. So there is not way to set at a specific temp.