MH? Your input is appreciated and taken seriously

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by reefnJeff, May 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

hahaha! i told her about the lights i got coming in soon, she took it a lot better than I thought she would, I only got about it a 30 minute lecture, getting a bigger tank is going to take a lot of butt kissing for sure, I got a 29g I want to make in to a sump/refugium.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it. :)
    Well if the light is on the way anyway, experiment with it over the tank for a few minutes to get a feel for it. I wouldn't leave it there to cook but you should get a feel for its power. I have also held new fixtures and pointed them at the wall and walked back a bit to get a sense of the hot spot size. This is helpful when thinking of new tanks as well.

4. reefnJeff

Thanks Matt, hopefully you will see this cus I got a question, I got a power strip that all my equipment plugged in to, My MH lights are on the truck and should be here soon, the MH lights would also be plugged in to this same strip, will this light cause a power surge when starting and perhaps with everything else plugged in to the same wall outlet cause me to trip a breaker? lots of devices plugged in to this one wall outlet.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yes you are going to have to find a way to plug the halide into the wall directly.
    Beyond your concerns, fire, etc... often, in my experience, the halide will not even fire up if plugged into a power strip.

6. reefnJeff

oohhh bother!! that opens up a whole new can of worms, that can prove difficult, I hope it includes at least 6 ft of chord, hahaha! maybe 8. My tank is right in the middle of a wall between 2 outlets, both between 6 to 7 feet away from the tank, thanks again Matt, i'll get to work on that.

7. reefnJeff

So far so good, I worked everything out, the animals sure ain't use to the new intense lighting, I am really hoping my Tri-color Acropora and my Red Candy Cap will respond well to their new lighting, I did it just for them.

8. Click Here!

9. reefnJeff

With my temp issue more stable i got my new MH lights back on, tank temp 76 and so far I am happy with the MH lights mostly because of my tri-color is responding and hopefully my red candy cap, my tri-color never had any polyps out until now, the base has lots of open polyps and on the branches their getting more open.

Attached Files:

10. Anemone King

Anemone King Astrea Snail

The TaoTronics LED fixture in my eyes would be the better way to go. less power more light. I have two of 120W over my 100 gallon that is 60" long & 20" deep... I had two MH 250W with 4 96W PC & the TaoTronics LED is way better lighting for a lot less $$$

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it Jeff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.