MH Retro Question

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by kstafford003, Feb 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

In my ever long, never ending search for a metal halide system that is cheap, but won't blow up when I plug it in, this is what I have found.

METAL HALIDE 250 watt MH AQUARIUM LIGHT 14K 14000K - eBay (item 320613403845 end time Feb-03-11 12:02:58 PST)

What do you think? I have a 90gal 60" long and I would like to get two or three of these and maybe later on supplement with some blue leds. I you think these are a piece of crap what would you suggest? I don't have a huge budget but would like to get started on this tank build.

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I know nothing about it, but seems to be generic, which I would be hesitant to trust. Also, the text sounds like a cheezy infomercial, which adds a bit to my lack of trust. Maybe someone else knows more about them, but personally, I would probably recommend spending a little more and get a know ballast/bulb. Check out the Aquacave and Hellolights retrofit kits. These are much more tried and true and not necessarily much more money.

4. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yeah it looks to be a knock off..or no name..im sure that ballast wouldnt last very long, but it could last forever..just never know, if it was me i wouldnt buy, when you could get something way better for a little bit more money..

5. kstafford003

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Sounds great if they still have them. I think they are discontinued, as sunlight supply seems to be moving towards electronic ballasts. The BlueWaves have been work horse ballasts for many people, for many years though. Two would certainly be enough to keep anything you want in a 90g. The only other thing I would mention is that I think this is a dual ballast, not two ballasts. The only problem with this, is if one dies they both die. However, that said the Blue waves are quite reliable.

Also, didn't mean to just point towards aquacave or hello lights. There are many excellent suppliers. Those are just two that came to mind, as I have purchased from them many times.

7. kstafford003

I like suppliers that are referenced to because that means they are a reputable dealer, their stuff works, or that they have good customer service. All three are things that I like so thats why I looked there and found something I could afford. Thank you for your help.